What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for people in IT

Winawer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two apps that I have used and liked with the iPhone are
TeamViewer
LogMeIn

wildm011
TeamViewer Pro seems extreamly expensive at $99.99 and requires software be installed on the PC/Mac. Have you tried the pro version or just the free. Would the pro version really be worth it?

I've used Teamviewer on my iPhone, and I loved it. The Pro version is meant for Enterprise customers, so you definitely don't want it unless you're in that category. I found that the free version did everything that I needed it to.

wildm011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the free version of TeamViewer. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the $99 version and the free version other than the price. I purchased a corporate license for the PC version of TeamViewer, so I feel that using the free TeamViewer app is just an additional tool to help out with that corporate license.

The app (and the entire system) has been a very good tool to be able to support client's needs. They have an 'on-demand' QuickSupport tool that can be run on any machine to temporarily instantly provide remote access to the machine (by PC or by iPhone/iPad) without requiring the installation of any software. Quite cool in my books!

wildm011

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I spotted another app that is something that I would find very usefull called DBviewerPlus. It lets you remotely manage pretty much any type of database you have setup.

However the way this app is created I don't feal safe using it for security reasons. First, you have to install their 3rd party software on your server that is running the database. Second you setup the software to know your iPad by entering its UUID, thats it. So my UUID that can be faked is whats allowing my ipad manage the database. Also it seems that the ipad wont connect directly to the server, their software grabs the database info and then they pass it along to my ipad. My ipad then passes updates to their servers who then make updates to my database.

Sorry, but I would recommend skipping this app. Hopefully someone will make one like it that allows us to connect directly to the database without the 3rd party software and other nonsense.

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
I spotted another app that is something that I would find very usefull called DBviewerPlus. It lets you remotely manage pretty much any type of database you have setup.

However the way this app is created I don't feal safe using it for security reasons. First, you have to install their 3rd party software on your server that is running the database. Second you setup the software to know your iPad by entering its UUID, thats it. So my UUID that can be faked is whats allowing my ipad manage the database. Also it seems that the ipad wont connect directly to the server, their software grabs the database info and then they pass it along to my ipad. My ipad then passes updates to their servers who then make updates to my database.

Sorry, but I would recommend skipping this app. Hopefully someone will make one like it that allows us to connect directly to the database without the 3rd party software and other nonsense.

Wow, no way in hell would I use this to admin any of my databases.

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the free version of TeamViewer. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the $99 version and the free version other than the price.
wildm011

TeamViewer is great. I use it on my iMac, Windows laptops, and my iPhone.

I believe the TeamViewer agreement says it is free under the condition you only use it for personal needs. You are NOT to use it for commercial purposes unless you purchase it.

So it's all on the honor system I guess.

I haven't seen them release an iPad specific version of the app yet. But if they do I'm all over it.

candafilm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use LogMeIn Ignition all the time. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it if you need a remote desktop. I've tried a few apps, but this has been the most stable.

Plus, I like to use it to jump on Google Translator and have my computer talk to my wife remotely.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for LogMeIn Ignition
I use VNC Viewer (from the people behind Real VNC) for systems that don't support LogMeIn (i.e. Linux).
Also nice to have an ssh client. I have the iPhone app TouchTerm... haven't bothered looking for an iPad ssh app.
And for storing all those logins and other sensitive data I use DataVault (with the Windows desktop client for syncing through wifi).

Last edited:

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
Pc2me ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!

PC2ME does remote desktop with audio streaming. So you can stream music from your home pc or troubleshoot (some) audio issues with it. Ok performance with audio enabled and fantastic without audio.

Cssystemstx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use itap rdp and can manage my client servers. I used jaadu on the iPhone, but think i like itap better.
Mobilenoter to sync with MS Onenotes
Docs to go to sync and edit folders on my PC (word, excel, PDF)
Quicktimer to track time and export to Quickbooks

I got my 64 / 3G rather than a new laptop. I am very pleased. Great tool. When I get frustrated, I just live stream a Netflix movie! How great is that?

Last edited:

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use itap rdp and can manage my client servers.

ITAP rocks for RDP!!!!!! I have a home network with multiple Windows PC's/Server's and changed RDP ports on each so I'm able to get to any of them when I'm not inside my Network. ITAP is a bit pricey; however worth every penny. I was also able to download ITAP for my wife's iPhone for free as we share the same iTunes account. A bit small on the iPhone; however when you have the need to control windows and don't have your iPad with you it does the trick...

Last edited:

Alphaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any godo SSH app?

I can't believe no one's mentioned iSSH! This is the absolute best ssh client I've found, and it also includes VNC and X11!

See zinger-soft.com for the app.

(Sorry for not making this a clickable URL, but I'm blocked from doing so as this is my first reply on this forum!)

The terminal emulator is superbly done, it allows for far greater than 80x24 displays while still viewing the on-screen keyboard, has a unique and useful way of accessing the editing keys, allows you to create macros, and supports a wide variety of character sets and fonts. It also generates both RSA and DSA keys.

I've used the VNC client, which works well, but not yet tried the X11 server.

This is the Swiss Army Knife of remote access utilities for the iPad/iPod/iPhone, and one purchase gets you both versions!

iBold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wyse (rdp/Vmware ), Rove Mobile Admin: if you need you have to have this one It can practicly do any admin thing, Dns,Notes admin..Exchange admin,Group admin

Most reactions

Latest posts