What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for novel writing

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS:I just tried to edit the above as I can't seem to edit my posts in IPad screen at all. It won't allow me to scroll down the text anyone else have this problem?

Instead of trying to scroll with one finger, put two fingers down instead. This is good too for any kind of text box or scroll down menu.

Keyser520

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on this thread, I downloaded Scrivener for my Macbook and Notebooks for my ipad. I transferred my novel into Scrivener (made all the chapter folders and added the chapters written so far).

I can't figure out how to sync the Scrivener project with Notebooks. Would one of you novel writing gurus be kind enough to tell me how you have been doing this? Thanks so much!

JohnMetta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a fellow writer, I would advise you not to write a novel on your iPad, you need a desktop computer (a laptop would be okay) and a proper sitting position to write a novel.

That statement is patently absurd.

Ray Bradbury, who sadly died today, and generations of writers prior to the advent of personal computers seemed to have managed quite well. Bradbury wrote a novel on paper using a fax machine to send pieces to his co-writer, laying then out on the floor to organize. There are also thousands of writers who still write without a computer. Is a proper sitting position "in a booth at a coffee shop?" If not, we might have had no Harry Potter.

Saying that one explicitly needs a desktop system (with the parenthetical insinuation that a laptop is possibly substandard) is ridiculous.

Plenty of people find the iPad an exceptional interface for writing. One with a fewer number of distractions than a full-fledged computer. In fact, with the Bluetooth keyboard, it very much reminds me of the word processors I used decades ago- a distraction-less environment that's actually very conducive to writing. Don't listen to someone telling you that an iPad is not a good writing interface, try it out and see if it works for you. It's a new technology and many, if not all, writers will incorporate it as they have all new technologies.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JohnMetta said:

Ray Bradbury, who sadly died today, and generations of writers prior to the advent of personal computers seemed to have managed quite well. Bradbury wrote a novel on paper using a fax machine to send pieces to his co-writer, laying then out on the floor to organize. There are also thousands of writers who still write without a computer. Is a proper sitting position "in a booth at a coffee shop?" If not, we might have had no Harry Potter.

Saying that one explicitly needs a desktop system (with the parenthetical insinuation that a laptop is possibly substandard) is ridiculous.

Plenty of people find the iPad an exceptional interface for writing. One with a fewer number of distractions than a full-fledged computer. In fact, with the Bluetooth keyboard, it very much reminds me of the word processors I used decades ago- a distraction-less environment that's actually very conducive to writing. Don't listen to someone telling you that an iPad is not a good writing interface, try it out and see if it works for you. It's a new technology and many, if not all, writers will incorporate it as they have all new technologies.

+1,000,000,000 well said!

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

So completely agree. It is all about the combination of input areas. Working between the iPad and the MacAir works beautifully!

Dan Michaels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keyser520 said:
Based on this thread, I downloaded Scrivener for my Macbook and Notebooks for my ipad. I transferred my novel into Scrivener (made all the chapter folders and added the chapters written so far).

I can't figure out how to sync the Scrivener project with Notebooks. Would one of you novel writing gurus be kind enough to tell me how you have been doing this? Thanks so much!

Hey m8 I can suggest a great app I use it myself in fact it's called. Storyist

Best..

Most reactions

Latest posts