What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps and memory

Dixonyy18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a question, I got my iPad a few days ago and I've downloaded about ten apps. None of the apps are very big, I would say average of 10 mb. It seems whenever I download an app however my memory goes down .1, for example I had 9.8 gb free, I downloaded an app that was like 15 mb and then I was at 9.7. I checked I tunes and it says I have like 160 mb of apps even though my apps add up to like 75 mb total, maybe. I just don't understand when I download a small app I'm losing a tenth of a gb, which is 100 mb, unless I'm missing something.

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a good answer for you, but I can say from personal experience that I have over 130 apps and they take up about as much as I had thought they would. I haven't tied out the numbers exactly, but I know they are in the ball park. Having noted this, I'm guessing that the more apps you load, the more the overall numbers will make sense. It's just a hunch, of course.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It typically depends on how the storage space is formatted. If it is formatted in blocks of say 8K and you had a file that was 12K the file would take 16K on the disk. This is from the old PC days before they started formatting everything in NTFS - but the concept is still the same.

Which iPad did you get 16, 32, or 64?

Most reactions

Latest posts