What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Watch Stainless Steel Version Experiencing Unknown Scratches Controversy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
apple-watch-bgr-scratches.jpg

Yes, the headline is meant to be attention grabbing, but that's only because we want you guys to be informed. Apparently, a number of folks who already received their stainless steel version of the Apple Watch are complaining how easily the device scratches. Despite this version of the Apple Watch being made of 316L stainless steel, after only three days of ownership multiple users have found tiny scratches easily appearing on the outer metal casing of their brand new Apple gadgets.

Of course, it would be unrealistic to assume that the device is completely scratch resistant, but it still has many of these owners scratching their heads in frustration. Supposedly, several of these owners haven't even been able to determine how the scratches are appearing on the device, which suggests it could be a bit too easy to damage. Right now the only option is to take the device into an Apple store (or a jeweler) to have the scratches buffed out with professional tools. It's not quite a #Scratchgate level social media problem, but enough people have experienced it to be noticeable.

It almost makes you wonder if it makes more sense to have pre-ordered the cheaper Sport version of the watch, since it doesn't seem to be getting the same complaints. We included a video in the thread below which details the problem and fixes.

Source: BGR

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Here's that video to go with the Apple Watch scratches story:

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The fact that the guy in the video is acting like the watch having poor scratch resistance is okay, is super ridiculous.

Mnbookman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a watchmaker, trained at a school connected with the largest luxury watch company in the world.

It is easy to scratch even high end, luxury watches. This is why as soon as we are done casing a watch, it goes into a clingy vinyl sleeve - so that the customer can see it was perfect when we were done with it.

People don't realize how hard they are on things they wear on their wrist.

In my opinion, the biggest issue isn't that these scratch, by that the cases are so thin. There are very few refinishes for a case that thin, and with its contours it will be difficult to use methods that don't take off much material when you refinish the watch.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone that's obsessed with removing even the minutest scratches on his Apple Watch will polish right through the case in short order. I think it will also be very difficult to design a protective case for the watch that doesn't interfere with its operation in some manner, from screen swipes to proper attachment of the charger.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but when you stand back and view the watch from a normal distance I really don't see these minute scratches being a problem. I mean, they don't interfere with the operation of the watch and the watch face is going to draw the most attention anyway.

Mnbookman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but when you stand back and view the watch from a normal distance I really don't see these minute scratches being a problem. I mean, they don't interfere with the operation of the watch and the watch face is going to draw the most attention anyway.
Standard quality control at a watch service center is from 12". I doubt you could see those scratches at 12".

Most reactions

Latest posts