What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV Rumored to Get Overhauled & Announced in June

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't connect iPad to Apple TV without wifi as far as I'm aware. I realise you have Bluetooth functionality but you still need wifi to stream anything.

Mike A

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't connect iPad to Apple TV without wifi as far as I'm aware. I realise you have Bluetooth functionality but you still need wifi to stream anything.

Mike A

It's not that you don't need wi-fi. It's that you don't need an existing network that both devices join. The newer iPads an iPhones and Apple TV's will discover each other using Bluetooth, then create a peer-to-peer wi-fi network (if needed) so you can use AirPlay to mirror or stream content.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is similar to the technology that make AirDrop work between iOS devices. Bluetooth discovery, then a peer-to-peer wi-fi connection for the actual file transfer. No need join or use a local wi-fi network.

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh right will have to try that I have iPhone 6+, new iPad Air that & Apple TV. So if I took this to somewhere that there was no wifi it would work then. I always got the impression you had to be on same wifi connection.

Mike A

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh right will have to try that I have iPhone 6+, new iPad Air that & Apple TV. So if I took this to somewhere that there was no wifi it would work then. I always got the impression you had to be on same wifi connection.

Mike A

Until recently, you did have to be on the same wi-fi connection. It's only since the latest AppleTV firmware update and newest iOS devices that you'e had this option. Hold in mind, it's got to be a newer AppleTV. I'm not sure which, but probably no more than one model old.

mike1726

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple TV is about 2012 & I also have one about 2013 so as far
as I'm aware I think they're 3rd generation which

Mike A

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I just watched Jezza Clarkson advertising the Amazon Fire TV stick... it prompted me to research the state of play on the TV stick market to see what new developments have occurred in the last six months. Disappointment... nothing new for the iOS user :-(

It looks like the Fire TV stick, Google's Chromecast and the Roku stick, each about £35, are still leading the TV stick market. It's so uncool having to wire up the current Apple TV box at work each time I give a presentation. I want the tech I carry into the meeting room to be unobtrusive, otherwise I might as well just continue carrying in my laptop. So much more convenient to plug in a Chromecast stick and its usb lead into the HDMI and usb sockets in back of the projector or LCD panel. However if it were an Apple TV stick, my iPad Pro would hook on to its peer-to-peer wifi network and... walla... my PowerPoint presentation is streamed onto the screen.

Apple is pushing iOS into the business market... I'm a typical business user and I want to easily present from my idevice... currently I feel inhibited by being constrained to using the large form factor current Apple TV. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for convenience, and I'd happily pay near current Apple TV prices to get it. I'm also not looking for all the Apple TV functionality, I just want the AirPlay capability... perhaps Apple could market it as a whole new product line... the "AirPlay stick"!

Most reactions

Latest posts