What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV, anyone?

MachThree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All - just wondering if anyone has an Apple TV and how they like it? I've been looking at this and other similar products. Probably I'd use it 80% to stream video off my PC to my TV (looks like a pain - at least w/o a jailbreak you need to convert to .m4p etc. first then add to itunes lib.) and 20% for Netflix etc. And it sure looks sweet to be able to control it from the iPad. But I hear bad things about streaming from Netflix, am somewhat dissapointed that it only does 720p and streaming vid off a PC seems like a pain due to all the conversion hassles. Should I be looking at something else? Roku, the Logitech Google TV device (which is expensive) - or are these devices just not mature yet and I should hold off?

P.S. My sudden interest is because Santa just belatedly delivered me a nice new 1080p 40" LCD :D Before that I was stuck in the dark ages with a 20" CRT TV.

DrJNAB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple TV is cool, and works fine. Highly recommend.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At my age I don't really see the difference between 720 and 1080. That said I love my AppleTV. I plugged it in a small hd tv, in the dining room, that is itself plugged in a good sound system. I find myself using it more for music than video.
During the holidays I used it for a family gathering to show slideshows, music and home movies. That made for great evenings!

Get yourself the AppleRemote app to simplify operation directly from iPad.

I also find it nice to show Youtube movies to a group of people. Loads of fun!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm about to buy an appletv.

I have a Sony media network player that I like a lot. I use mine mostly for Netflix and pandora. I like the 1080p it offers vs the 720p. Does everything apple tv does, minus the app for iPad.

But that's what my iPhone is for, and soon my iPod touch.

Mikeb41g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My LCD is a few years old and does not have hdmi, so I went to Sony to buy their media network unit that you mentioned and they told me that it wont work with IPad. I want to use it for photos and for Netflix movies.

Will it work for mr?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My LCD is a few years old and does not have hdmi, so I went to Sony to buy their media network unit that you mentioned and they told me that it wont work with IPad. I want to use it for photos and for Netflix movies.

Will it work for mr?
AppleTV also requires an HDMI port. I'm afraid it's not for you...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great device, but not perfect. I have troubles on occassion with pairing that I have not figured out yet. My big issue is not with the AppleTV, but with my Harmony remote. Logitech does not seem to do a good job of supporting Apple products. They refuse to recognize Safari, and after long, they still do not support anything more than basic controls. I cannot even control my TV volume when it is in AppleTV mode.

Red Rover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got it, mainly for streaming Netflix, and it works quite well. Picture is better than streaming directly from the iPad through Apple's component cables. I downloaded one HD rental from itunes which took avery long time to download. Not sure how long because I went to bed and watched it the next day.

for me, and my desire to watch netflix, it works just fine.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pull my photos off the desktop computer and stream them either via Sony media player, or PS3.

If I know I'm hosting a party, I'll create a photo folder on the desktop, put the photos on a thumb drive and upload em onto the PS3. I have friends from my age (early 20s) to 40's. For more mature parties I keep the naked chicks and beer pong party photos out.

Someone brought up the logitech remote. I have the 700 remote, and it works perfectly with my Sony network media player. Ps3 requires an adaptor for $70. Same price I paid fo the remote in the first place lol

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was gonna get one but I can't justify the purchase because I don't really need it. I bought a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter so I can watch moves on my Air and I have an Xbox360 so I watch netflix with that....but I still want an apple tv...maybe the 360 will break!

Most reactions

Latest posts