What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple to Add High Resolution Audio Downloads to iTunes

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2014-01-22-at-5.31.39-PM-620x400.png

After we’ve seen some previous report suggest that Apple could be planning a serious overhaul of its iTunes Music store, new informations seems to be pointing to the fact that the company could also be planning to add high resolution audio downloads to iTunes as part of the revamp. Thus, this would allow iOS users to download lossless 24-bit audio files, says music blogger Robert Hutton.

For several years, Apple have been insisting that labels provide files for iTunes in 24 bit format – preferably 96k or 192k sampling rate. So they have undeniably the biggest catalog of hi-res audio in the world. And the Led Zeppelin remasters in high resolution will be the kick off event – to coincide with Led Zep in hi-res, Apple will flip the switch and launch their hi-res store via iTunes – and apparently, it will be priced a buck above the typical current file prices. That’s right – Apple will launch hi-res iTunes in two months.

Apple has been rumored to offer music downloads in a 24-bit format for quite a while now, but it seems that high-definition 24-bit tracks could be unveiled at this year’s WWDC.

Source: iPhoneForums

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
High resolution audio doesn't seem to be anything important these days. Most people couldn't care less about quality. That's why they have low res MP3s piled up on their devices. Sound quality stopped mattering years ago for most users. They use their phone or iPod for music which are about the lowest fidelity devices you can own. Add cheap ear buds to the mix and it makes quality even less important. Well see how this goes and maybe apple knows something but I don't see anyone paying more for an HQ version of a song.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
High resolution audio doesn't seem to be anything important these days. Most people couldn't care less about quality. That's why they have low res MP3s piled up on their devices. Sound quality stopped mattering years ago for most users. They use their phone or iPod for music which are about the lowest fidelity devices you can own. Add cheap ear buds to the mix and it makes quality even less important. Well see how this goes and maybe apple knows something but I don't see anyone paying more for an HQ version of a song.

It does matters. But in the case of iTunes their songs are already good enough. I don't hear any differences between mp3 songs and iTunes songs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sad, but true. And high-def multi-channel sound tracks on movies suffers the same fate. People watching moves on tiny tablets don't care about resolution or multi-channel high def sound. It's the dumbing down of every friggin thing of value. Sad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sad, but true. And high-def multi-channel sound tracks on movies suffers the same fate. People watching moves on tiny tablets don't care about resolution or multi-channel high def sound. It's the dumbing down of every friggin thing of value. Sad.

Yep. I used to work in a High end audio shop so this subject hits me personally! Used to be a booming hobby and industry. Lots of fun too. Then, the tiny music players started coming out. No one bought CDs anymore. Just pirated, ripped junk from various internet sites. Look, I like convenience too and I appreciate being able to buy just the songs I want. CDs were kind of overpriced for what you got which was 3-4 good cuts and 15 filler songs. But I also appreciate good fidelity. Oh well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep. I used to work in a High end audio shop so this subject hits me personally! Used to be a booming hobby and industry. Lots of fun too. Then, the tiny music players started coming out. No one bought CDs anymore. Just pirated, ripped junk from various internet sites. Look, I like convenience too and I appreciate being able to buy just the songs I want. CDs were kind of overpriced for what you got which was 3-4 good cuts and 15 filler songs. But I also appreciate good fidelity. Oh well.

Used to be you could buy CDs really cheap in Best Buy. I don't go there any more so I don't know if the situation has changed. I have several high-def CDs and DVD-Audio titles. I've scanned my entire CD collection to MP3, but I'm thinking seriously now about doing it all over again but this time to a lossless format. I also have my entire 2000+ blu-ray / DVD collection ripped to digital with lossless multi-channel sound tracks preserved. I store all of the video on a PC with about 50TB of hard drive space and can stream the various titles to two home theater PCs I have near my HDTVs (and to my desktop PC should I choose to watch there - which I rarely do). I have several music blu-rays, too. So, the point is, even though the masses have little if any interest in this, there are geeks out there who do! Quite a few, too, but nothing like the numbers of the "masses".

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i hope apple does offer this high quality music option, and more importantly i wish apple would let us update the music we already have / bought on iTunes redownload them to high quality format

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i hope apple does offer this high quality music option, and more importantly i wish apple would let us update the music we already have / bought on iTunes redownload them to high quality format

It sounds to me, you are having problems uploading rip songs from your iTunes to your iPad. I have over 2000 songs on my iTunes library and I just downloaded them all to my iTunes on my device. You don't need a connection to play them. In order to do this, you need to be on a normal computer or laptop that has iTunes. On iTunes, go to the left side of the screen right above File, there is a black and white box split in half vertical black and white, to the the right of that is a drop down arrow, click on this arrow, a box will come up with a list of options, the first option is new, go to the right in the box and select new playlist, that will select the songs, it will ask to give it a name. In order to get to this list, go to new playlist from selection. When you connect your iPad to the computer, it will treat it a a camera, the camera will have the name you gave the iPad. You can at this time drag and drop the new playlist songs to this icon, ( iPad). Good luck. There is another to of doing this too, if you have questions drop me a line. readyfreddie

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds to me, you are having problems uploading rip songs from your iTunes to your iPad. I have over 2000 songs on my iTunes library and I just downloaded them all to my iTunes on my device. You don't need a connection to play them. In order to do this, you need to be on a normal computer or laptop that has iTunes. On iTunes, go to the left side of the screen right above File, there is a black and white box split in half vertical black and white, to the the right of that is a drop down arrow, click on this arrow, a box will come up with a list of options, the first option is new, go to the right in the box and select new playlist, that will select the songs, it will ask to give it a name. In order to get to this list, go to new playlist from selection. When you connect your iPad to the computer, it will treat it a a camera, the camera will have the name you gave the iPad. You can at this time drag and drop the new playlist songs to this icon, ( iPad). Good luck. There is another to of doing this too, if you have questions drop me a line. readyfreddie

Hi Freddy, thanks for the help, my problem with the sound of music have nothing to do with listening it from the iPad or iPhone, or how to transfer music to the devices from my Macbook Pro. The issue i have is when i bought songs (using Shazam) and albums from iTunes, the songs were not the best quality. They have low volume and sometimes rough noises, basically the quality is not as good as on CD Roms, which i have purchased before iTunes and ripped a few to my iTunes and listen to them legally on my devices. It when i download the songs from iTunes after purchasing them have quality issues. I have used the wifi at home, work and even apple stores, and the low bit rate songs are not the best

Most reactions

Latest posts