What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple smart cover poor design

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Apple Smart Cover for the iPad Air is really poor design. It only has three folds. The older cover had four folds and the fourth one held things together. The new Smart Cover won't take any pressure or it totally collapses. Turns out that fourth fold was providing structural support. It Ain't even close-I wonder if any of the brilliant apple engineers ever tested the dang thing. I am gonna return the thing to apple

Has anyone found a better alternative cover?

Thanks

Frank

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never liked the apple branded cases or covers. They just seem funky to me. I just ordered a Fintie brand folio case from amazon and it should be here soon. Nothing special but has the features I wanted in a case. There are plenty of choices out there, luckily.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Apple Smart Cover for the iPad Air is really poor design. It only has three folds. The older cover had four folds and the fourth one held things together. The new Smart Cover won't take any pressure or it totally collapses. Turns out that fourth fold was providing structural support. It Ain't even close-I wonder if any of the brilliant apple engineers ever tested the dang thing. I am gonna return the thing to apple

Has anyone found a better alternative cover?

Thanks

Frank

Sent from my iPad using iPF
I agree totally with that, also there is a gap from the hinge to about half way down each side, it won't ever lay flush, I returned mine for a refund, for £65 it should be perfect.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my Fintie SmartShell case for the Air today and for the money, it's wonderful. From Amazon it cost $1.99 plus $4.99 for shipping. Total: $6.98. That's for a lack one

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never buy Apple cases...way over priced and they make enough profit on hardware. I prefer to buy third party cases and spread the money around. I'm looking for Khomo to provide a case for the Air and mini 2...I have their case on my mini 1 and it has four folds as you mention and this sturdy in the movie position. And the price is a lot better. I don't know if they have one yet for the Air and the mini 2 (the mini 2 might fit inside the mini 1 case, but the case is tightly fitting so it might well not fit).

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the smart case for the air and I have no problems using it to keep the air up. I agree the original 4 were better, but the 3 is just fine with me.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went into town today and bought a really nice case for my Air, this is how cases should be made, it's made by Maroo, the softest leather and such attention to detail, not cheap at £50 but SO worth it, i got Red, they had Black,Purple and Brown too, i'm thrilled with this case.

Most reactions

Latest posts