What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Launches New iPad Smart Case to Cover Front and Back

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
smart_case.JPG

Aside from announcing iOS 6 at its WWDC today, Apple has also announced a new iPad case, the iPad Smart Case, according to The Next Web. The new case is already in the online Apple Store, and is designed to cover your iPad from the front to the back, and the sides as well, while still keeping the thin, light design. It is able to fold in much the same way as the old Smart Cover, and will cause your iPad to either wake from sleep or go to sleep when you open it or close it. It is made from polyurethane, with a soft, colour-matched microfiber lining to keep your display nice and clean, and will come in six different colours: light gray, dark gray, blue, green, pink and red. It can also be personalized with free laser engraving. The Smart Case will cost $49.00.

Source: Apple Unveils New iPad Smart Case Accessory, Offers Front-to-Back Protection, Apple.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the Apple Store these fit both iPad 2 and the new iPad........so I've just ordered a fetching blue number!

The Archangel

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd that as the new iPad camera is in a slightly different location and size. I thought there would be a choice when ordering for iPad 2 or New iPad, but there isn't....

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have bought this case if it was available when i bought my ipad 3, as much as i like the older apple magnetic cover for the ipad 2, i disliked how it left the back of the ipad exposed and vunerable. Looks like this new one solves that dilema. The belkin one i got now with the ipad 3 sleeps and wakes the ipad, i dont need to press the main or home button like i had to with the ipad 1

RIP Steve Jobs 

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the Apple Store these fit both iPad 2 and the new iPad........so I've just ordered a fetching blue number!

The Archangel

You will have to post pics when your fetching blue case comes in!

I have a griffin smartcover that has the backing on it. I couldn't get myself to just get the smartcover and leave the back exposed.i am glad that Apple finally improved on their smartcover design--it really was time.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will be ordering 1 each my 2 and 3 but haven't decided on colour... Might go with Red :D

pcoleman721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought my Smart Case at the apple store in Chicago, it seems nice but I like the clear back/smart cover combo that I was using. I like the aluminum look of the
iPad. The case has a rubbery feel picking up a little dust/fibers here and there. I think the smart cover of the Smart Case has a different feel compared to the stand alone unit. More rubbery I guess. The smart case does not come apart, it is attached to one another. It still feels like it has the smart cover frame sewed in there. It's all microfiber on the inside of the case. It has tapered edges similar to the first iPad official case.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has just arrived, here are some pictures.....

image-3471024279.jpg

image-1005207905.jpg

image-1670813858.jpg

image-1516233948.jpg

image-3785277654.jpg

It is of a rubber type construction with a cloth/microfiber on the inside of the front cover. I have my iPad 2 in it, it is a reasonable fit, ever so slightly loose but not so much that the iPad will rattle around or fall out. The New iPad should be a perfect fit.

Do I like it, yes I do!

I may order another colour though, maybe the grey.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, Gabe--that is a really nice shade of blue for the cover. It's really striking and looks to be a good fit there. The red cover also looks really vibrant as well. Was it 2 pieces or 1?

Also, like screen shots and choice avatars!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hey, Gabe--that is a really nice shade of blue for the cover. It's really striking and looks to be a good fit there. The red cover also looks really vibrant as well. Was it 2 pieces or 1?

Also, like screen shots and choice avatars!

It's one piece so no danger of it falling apart if you pick it up by the front cover (why anyone would want to pick an iPad up by the front cover kind of beats me!).

I thought that the red looked good too.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really looks absolutely beautiful. I stayed away from the original one based on all the horrors of lifting from the cover and dropping it. I may have to check out the bright red one! iPads needs plenty of outfits to wear!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
It really looks absolutely beautiful. I stayed away from the original one based on all the horrors of lifting from the cover and dropping it. I may have to check out the bright red one! iPads needs plenty of outfits to wear!

I like my original but this is perfect for keeping your iPad in pristine condition.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I admit those color options are indeed fetching. Even though I don't like the design, the colors I do like. Black & brown get so boring.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very nice covers, wish they were available a few weeks ago, i would have gotten the red one

RIP Steve Jobs 

Most reactions

Latest posts