What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Said to be Working on Self-Driving Electric Car

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
apple-van-jpg.18316

Several rumours have surfaced over the past couple of weeks about the possibility of Apple working on its own self-driving electric car, and now today Reuters has a story that appears to be well-sourced that states that Apple is indeed already in the process of planning the development of a self-driving electric car.

According to Reuters' source, who is in the automatic industry, Apple is currently learning all about how to develop such a car, and is in talks with experts at car manufacturers and auto suppliers.

The source says that Apple is learning about making an entire vehicle, not just software or components.

“They don’t appear to want a lot of help from carmakers,” said the anonymous source.

At present, Apple is only involved in the very earliest stages of the process, which involves getting as much advice as possible on parts and production techniques. The source says that Apple is not interested in combustion engine technology or conventional manufacturing processes.

When asked to comment today, an Apple spokesman in London said that they would not comment on “rumours and speculation.”

Other recent reports have revealed that Apple has made several appointments of prominent people in the auto industry, including Johann Jungwirth, president and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America.

So maybe those mysterious black Apple vans that have been seen out and about were really nothing to do about mapping after all?!

Source: Apple learning to make self-driving car source - Yahoo Finance

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't see me ever getting into a car that drives itself. Just don't like the idea. Probably the same reason I don't fly. I just like to drive and be at the helm when I'm in a vehicle. ;)

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Next they'll be going into space as there seems to be no limit to Apples ambitions.lol

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't see me ever getting into a car that drives itself. Just don't like the idea. Probably the same reason I don't fly. I just like to drive and be at the helm when I'm in a vehicle. ;)[/QUOTE

Hi, see UR a Ninja. Wondered what that means since I am only a fan.lol
Also seems that u r a control freak.lol

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose it's going to happen, and I suspect sooner than we think...our State government (South Australia) has announced a forward direction plan, within a time span of 15-20 years, to adjust laws and infrastructure to cater for such self-drive electric vehicles, with the State motoring organisation being all for it.. I suppose there will still be a need for verbal input from the driver.
I'm just in awe of how computers tied to mechanical components in a car could handle stuff...like (a few off the cuff examples here):
-- "Oh, there's that street I want to turn into, I wasn't sure about the address to say it, but it's here somewhere on the right...here it is... Oh no! I meant on the left, no, no, don't turn into the traffic.... bummer!
-- Gee that car in front is doing 107 Km/hr, slow coach! I want to pass, go for it. No, no I know the speed limit is 110 km/hr but ya got to speed up to pass, go, go...oh, hang on there's oncoming traffic... bummer!
-- Ah there's a nice spot in the supermarket car park. Why are you not going for it automatically? OK well go into it, sheesh! Wait, wait, that lady is swinging into it with that huge Hummer. Sorry I should have said let her have it... bummer!
-- you can't understand my voice, stiff Cheddar. OK, I'll key in your instructions, so take me there, sheesh!. You don't understand Lithuanian?... bummer.
While there's still time, I'm now going to enjoy my car even more now with the steering wheel and pedals:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suppose it's going to happen, and I suspect sooner than we think...our State government (South Australia) has announced a forward direction plan, within a time span of 15-20 years, to adjust laws and infrastructure to cater for such self-drive electric vehicles, with the State motoring organisation being all for it.. I suppose there will still be a need for verbal input from the driver.
I'm just in awe of how computers tied to mechanical components in a car could handle stuff...like (a few off the cuff examples here):
-- "Oh, there's that street I want to turn into, I wasn't sure about the address to say it, but it's here somewhere on the right...here it is... Oh no! I meant on the left, no, no, don't turn into the traffic.... bummer!
-- Gee that car in front is doing 107 Km/hr, slow coach! I want to pass, go for it. No, no I know the speed limit is 110 km/hr but ya got to speed up to pass, go, go...oh, hang on there's oncoming traffic... bummer!
-- Ah there's a nice spot in the supermarket car park. Why are you not going for it automatically? OK well go into it, sheesh! Wait, wait, that lady is swinging into it with that huge Hummer. Sorry I should have said let her have it... bummer!
-- you can't understand my voice, stiff Cheddar. OK, I'll key in your instructions, so take me there, sheesh!. You don't understand Lithuanian?... bummer.
While there's still time, I'm now going to enjoy my car even more now with the steering wheel and pedals:)
Andrew
Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

I agree and as I said I just can't see me getting on board with this. Maybe I am a control freak but I prefer to drive the vehicles I'm riding in. Just the way it is. ;)

Most reactions