What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Shown Controlling a Self-Driving Nissan Leaf Car

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Check out this very cool video from iDownload Blog, which shows scientists at Oxford University using an iPad to enable a Nissan Leaf car to drive itself. The iPad, which is installed in the car’s dashboard, is able to take over from the car’s human driver. All the driver has to do is tap once, and the iPad will start to control the car. At present, as you might imagine, this is just a prototype system, and costs £5000/$7500, but the makers belief that it could eventually retail for as little as £100. According to the report, the car moves in 2D, but senses in 3D, and has to learn its environment before taking over from the human that is driving the car. It works by using built-in cameras and lasers, with 3D laser mapping providing a detailed picture of the car’s surroundings. iDownload Blog notes that GPS is not used by the system, as it might not always be available. Very cool idea! [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Oxford University researchers show off iPad-powered self-driving Nissan Leaf

Last edited by a moderator:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds great but I don't know how comfy I'd be with a tablet driving for me. Imagine the potential liability insurance one would require using such a thing! No thanks!

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your autonomous car crashes, isn't it the fault of the driver? In this case, the manufacturer? You are the passenger.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Letting the iPad drive is probably safer than letting the driver try and drive while using the iPhone or iPad to check email and text friends.

Most reactions

Latest posts