What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Notification - Hacked?

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has my account been hacked?

Last night around 10 I got an Notification from Apple.

Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPad.

Then it listed my husband’s old iPad which he just keeps as a backup for an emergency. It was n’t even turned on and he doesn’t recall when he last had it on. He might have charged it recently and last history shows that it was updated on January 1st.

Apple Support says to delete that device from my account, which I did. I also changed my password. My iTunes credit seems fine.

Should I still be worried or do something else?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Has my account been hacked?

Last night around 10 I got an Notification from Apple.

Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new iPad.

Then it listed my husband’s old iPad which he just keeps as a backup for an emergency. It was n’t even turned on and he doesn’t recall when he last had it on. He might have charged it recently and last history shows that it was updated on January 1st.

Apple Support says to delete that device from my account, which I did. I also changed my password. My iTunes credit seems fine.

Should I still be worried or do something else?

Well, since you contacted Apple, changed your password, and presumably checked Apple's purchases sites (i.e. App store, Books, Music, etc.) for potential fraudulent charges, I suspect that you're fine, although curious if Apple provided a more specific explanation?

Just a general statement about Apple messages which may be phishing attempts - first check the return address of the sender - if it's gibberish (and say not 'Apple'dot'com) then do not click on links and delete - provide NO personal information - more HERE from Apple.

As to the OP, if you want some more advise from Apple (and if not already done, sorry if so), check their KB article HERE. Finally and again if not already done, setup 2-Factor Authentication - yep kind of a pain but vastly improves your security. For those wanting MORE information on controlling and protecting your Apple ID, I have this short and inexpensive book on my iPad; the author is well respected - recommended (and, I have no relationship to him or the company). Good luck - Dave
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 11.41.13 AM.png

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, giradman. I only went to that Apple site that you flagged too. I followed those steps. I have the 2-factor authentication.

It wasn’t an email, just one of those Apple boxes that appears in the middle of your screen when something changes.

I guess I still should contact Apple and see if they can explain what happened.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, giradman. I only went to that Apple site that you flagged too. I followed those steps. I have the 2-factor authentication.

It wasn’t an email, just one of those Apple boxes that appears in the middle of your screen when something changes.

I guess I still should contact Apple and see if they can explain what happened.

Well, you should be fine but post back if you get more clarification - likely will help others. Dave :)

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was the reply when I contacted the Apple Support Group on chat.

“Usually, if a device updates or restarts, this message can occur. It can also occur if Apple ID terms are updated for the account as well. If you haven’t already, you can check your Apple ID devices from the Apple ID website: appleid.apple.com under devices. As long as all Devices are correct, you have no worries and it was a simple update in our system.”

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few days later I also got the pop up about my watch.

Most reactions

Latest posts