What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple keyboard vs others

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really like the design, style, material, everything that apple keyboard has. I really would like to purchase one, but a 70$ keyboard is out of my budget. Does anyone know of a really similar quality wireless keyboard, or any really good ones to recommend? Or is the 70$ investment worth it?

Also, how long does it last before I have to change the batteries?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The AWK is a very good keyboard. I've used mine for months and never changed the batteries. If you're very picky about the key action and size of a keyboard as I am, you won't find many (any?) alternatives that work as well on all counts.

I don't like either "foldable" keyboards or the keyboards that are combined with iPad cases. The former (in my experience) are not very durable and/or don't have great key action. And they're too small. The "encased" versions must be sized to be no wider than the landscape length of the iPad. I find that too cramped since I use a full size keyboard on a regular basis. Adjusting between the two is simply annoying.

You might consider the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard. Its action is as good or better than the AWK. It's curved so your wrists don't tire/become sore if you're typing a lot. It's a bit larger than the AWK but is easily transported in a small messenger bag. And since it's thin and flat in some ways it's easier to pack than the AWK. Perhaps most important it's less than half the price of the AWK.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-2XJ-00001-Bluetooth-Keyboard-6000/dp/B004HVW0ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313874305&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000: Electronics[/ame]

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to think about a folding Bluetooth keyboard too. They're so compact when folded that it's easy to take them wherever you go. I use two - the 'iGo' keyboard and the 'Freedom iConnex'. Batteries last about a month of intensive use. Of course, they're not as robust as the non-folding keyboards but they fold and fit into a small faux leather pouch and sit nicely next to the iPad for any journey.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, there's another active thread on the accessories forum that identifies an apparent problem with the latest version of the Apple Wireless Keyboard (the "/B" version.) It appears that some changes in the keyboard to support the latest Mac OS have led to failure of some of the function keys when used with the iPad.

I was skeptical but found via a google search that the problem is apparently quite real. So, if you're looking for an Apple Wireless Keyboard, try to get the "/A" version (designated on the box.) Otherwise, be prepared for some problems until Apple gets the problem sorted out.

Most reactions

Latest posts