What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APPLE iPAD VS EVO 4G

soulfulms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi...i'm a newbie on this forum...while i do not own either...what are your thoughts about comparing the 2...realizing we are comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges...could any of you see the similarities between the 2 devices?:confused:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now the Evo is suffering quality issues which is causing the glass to separate from the body. Not much like that happening to iPhones.

OP
soulfulms

soulfulms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what i am asking is do you think you could get by with a 4G smartphone in PLACE of an iPad?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what i am asking is do you think you could get by with a 4G smartphone in PLACE of an iPad?

You can't compare two different class devices like this as there is no reference point.

It is like comparing a Funny Car to a Stationary Bike.

OP
soulfulms

soulfulms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
awhhh come on...there are some overlaps...the question is could you live with what the other has or hasn't??:eek:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One is phone that can do other things, the other does everything else better, but cannot be considered a phone.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
awhhh come on...there are some overlaps...the question is could you live with what the other has or hasn't??:eek:

They are different, but I am doing something similar. I ditched my Samsung Omnia for the iPad and a simple, free feature phone. The main thing I miss is real texting, but its not a huge problem. With Text + I can initiate SMS conversations with any phone user and if someone messages me on my phone, I just reply on the ipad as if I'm starting a new conversation with that person and continue the conversation on the ipad.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The EVO 4G is a slick phone, I've only played around with it in stores, but I have a loaner coming next week that I'll be able to spend a little more time with.

Like the others said, it's very hard to compare the evo 4g against the iPad. Two completely different devices, OS's, purposes, etc. In my life a smart phone is a must, so that would be first on my list of gadgets.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you absolutely had to pick one, pick the iPad. The EVO has atrocious battery life. So even if the EVO could do every last thing the iPad could do and more, the battery might last about 1/5 or worse of the iPad. Play a game on the EVO or download and surf the internet for a few hours and I bet the battery would be in the red....whereas with my iPad, I've been using it all day and it's at 70 some percent.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do what I do. I have a cheap track phone for calls and an iPad for when I am out and about :)

I agree with the others though. It's hard to compare. They are different types of devices. Smartphones are easier to carry around, but when it comes to using, the iPad is much better because of the larger screen.

I wouldn't mind getting a smartphone, but I can't see spending $100 a month so that I can check my mail and send text messages, which is what I would do mostly on a smartphone.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you absolutely had to pick one, pick the iPad. The EVO has atrocious battery life. So even if the EVO could do every last thing the iPad could do and more, the battery might last about 1/5 or worse of the iPad. Play a game on the EVO or download and surf the internet for a few hours and I bet the battery would be in the red....whereas with my iPad, I've been using it all day and it's at 70 some percent.

The eve battery life is actually around 8 hours when you first get the phone the bat is horrible and last for barley 4 but you have to drain the bat once before the bat really start working something with my nexus one. But i would choos the iPad if you already have a smart phone.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not 8 hours of constant use like the iPad is constant 10 hour use. There's an ENORMOUS difference.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The EVO is getting really horrible reviews. The specs look great, but I think it's obvious now that specs don't win the game anymore. In practical use, the Evo is reported to have about 4 hours of battery life. I'm not a real stickler when it comes to battery life, but most good devices let you use them for at least a full day. I get a full day and more from my iPhone 3GS, and the iPad just lasts forever.

Bottom line is that the EVo will never be a serious contender if it's battery life is on par with a 90's laptop.

There are better Android devices out there. And besides, comparing smartphones to the iPad is sort of strange to begin with.

Blkjk13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U CAN compare the two, because essentially THEY do the same things. Now comparing an iPad to a lap top isn't right.

It's about speed, ease of use, portability, gaming, screen real estate, and network reliability. The iPad kills 50% of the list(ease of use, gaming, & screen real estate) do these three areas outweigh the other three? Only u can decide that my friend. Let me say though, the iPad is not slow by any means, it is very portable, although u can't pocket it, and the networks bad reception is over exaggerated AND DEPENDS ON WHERE U LIVE.

I use to own an iPhone. Sold it recently because I don't talk on the phone(refuse to pay for minutes i dont use)and I have an iPad which does the same things it does(before iphone4). Now I'm gonna buy a boost because it's just cheaper. Probably won't need the boost after a while because VOIP apps. Just waiting multitasking and push. I know how to be patient.

Now if you are a recording engineer, artist, or u do some type of work where being able to transfer information from iPhone to iPad to Mac or something, it's a whole other story.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They aren't in the same league. Don't try to compare them. I don't mean the same league as in the iPad is better, I mean they are meant for different things. With such an atrocious battery life the phone is not meant to be an end all be all. With that screen on you could probably only even read a book for a couple hours.

Comparing the two is like comparing a bicycle to a car. Both have uses but neither is comparable. Yeah they have wheels and they provide transportation, but that's about the extent of it. The bike is meant to take you usually on shorter distances and slower than a car, just like the phone may have the same basic capabilities but it's not going to get you very far on a phone battery life.

Most reactions