What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple ID

bearwitme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Let's see if I can explain this so you understand.

I once had a iPhone. Had iTunes on my pc which is up to date. I no longer have the iPhone but kept iTunes. Now I have iPad 2. When I registered it I used a new apple ID .I synced my pad to iTunes but I can't get rid of the old apple ID on the apple store on the iPad. I can purchase new but can't update because it comes up with the old apple ID. I checked AppStore in the setting and It shows my new ID. Im thinking maybe I have to delete all the apps that show that have updates and reload them. Does this make sense to you.. I hope so.. Thanks in advance

Connie

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. The first thing is - don't delete those apps under the old ID and then try to reload them with the new ID! The App Store will think you are two different people and charge you again for those apps. So, until we fully flesh out or fix your problem ... that's the last thing you want to do.

When you were in Settings>Store, did you see your old ID in the section to the right? It starts with Apple ID: [your e-mail address]. Press on that and you should get a pop-up to (1) View Apple ID, (2) Sign Out or (3) Cancel.

Select to "Sign Out." Then, resign it with your new ID. Now you can access the updates for apps you've bought with that ID.

Since you've created two Apple IDs - and have apps for each one - you'll have to keep logging off/on with the appropriate ID to install updates.

It shouldn't be too much of a hassle to keep up with as long as you just use one ID from now on (and don't have many of the old ID/iPhone apps installed on your iPad).

Please note that this swapping back and forth of IDs also applies to iTunes - your old iPhone apps will still require updating. You'll have to sign in and out of iTunes to keep up with those also. The sign out place on iTunes is under Store in the tab...

I hope this helps (and that I've understood your problem). Please let us know how it goes or if you need more help. Or - if you need what I typed to be clarified! :)

Marilyn

OP
B

bearwitme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.. Before I read your response I did delete the apps. I only did it because it was nothing I had paid for. They were free apps. I was able to get them again so now I am able ot use just the new Apple ID.. Thank You for your Help..

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, good. Glad to hear the old ID was [mostly?] free apps. Makes not using it/dumping it much easier, yeah?

Appreciate the update.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts