What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Could be Planning To Replace Dock Connector With Micro Dock

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
dock_connector.JPG

According to a report on iMore today, Apple could be planning to replace its 30-pin dock connector for iOS devices with a much smaller “micro dockâ€. iMore says that according to its sources, Apple is looking to create more space inside the iPhone 5 for components that it considers more important, such as a bigger battery and a 4G radio, to name but two. Although this would be a big change, and might upset some users, iMore notes that to make such a move is far from unprecedented for Apple, citing its switch from the mini SIM to the micro SIM, and it’s re-siting of the iPhone 4's antenna around the sides of the phone as two particular examples. iMore says that Apple is probably more likely to make such a design change now than previously because of the diminishing importance of the dock connector, with the current generation of iPhones being much less reliant on the PC, thanks largely to the introduction of AirPlay and iCloud. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Apple getting ready to ditch the traditional iPhone, iPad, and iPod dock connector | iMore[/FONT]

toemaytoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.scottolso.ca
Hope this is not true. The current connector is ubiquitous. It's found in nearly every home theatre, Bose sound docks, car stereo's and much much more. To change this would be very expensive to the consumer.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope this is not true. The current connector is ubiquitous. It's found in nearly every home theatre, Bose sound docks, car stereo's and much much more. To change this would be very expensive to the consumer.

If there were such a change, I'd expect easy access to adapters that would allowed continued use of existing chargers, docks, etc.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there were such a change, I'd expect easy access to adapters that would allowed continued use of existing chargers, docks, etc.
Agreed. Apple's not gonna leave millions of iPhone/iPad/iPod owners without a way to connect their current devices to new ones or vice versa.

toemaytoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.scottolso.ca
I would hope you're right but unfortunately apple has a history of abandoning users. The apple story is littered with examples of consumers left without upgrade paths.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
toemaytoe said:
I would hope you're right but unfortunately apple has a history of abandoning users. The apple story is littered with examples of consumers left without upgrade paths.

I would have to disagree the apple has a history of abandoning users. The life span of apple products spares is no more than 5 years this is similar to the pc world it does not make economic sense to upgrade or repare some products after 3 or4 years.

If you purchase an iPod to day or an iPad it will still operate fine after 3 years even if you cannot upgrade the iOS. I am unsure what you expect the life time to be.

The bottom line even if they do change the input charge socket adapters will be available for older accessories

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to disagree the apple has a history of abandoning users. The life span of apple products spares is no more than 5 years this is similar to the pc world it does not make economic sense to upgrade or repare some products after 3 or4 years.

If you purchase an iPod to day or an iPad it will still operate fine after 3 years even if you cannot upgrade the iOS. I am unsure what you expect the life time to be.

The bottom line even if they do change the input charge socket adapters will be available for older accessories

What Col.Bris said.

It wouldn't make sense for any hardware maker to support any hardware forever, or to piss off millions of customers. Not that Apple will satisfy everyone, but no company does. What I do know, even as someone who has bought iStuff only because it serves my uses now and who is open to switching brands: Apple has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in existence. I don't think it got there by abandoning users.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
Although this would be a big change, and might upset some users, iMore notes that to make such a move is far from unprecedented for Apple, citing its switch from the mini SIM to the micro SIM, and it’s re-siting of the iPhone 4's antenna around the sides of the phone as two particular examples.​

Huh? These changes are not even remotely similar to obsoleting the connection between iPhones and car stereos, home theaters and what has become a ubiquitous connection between these devices.

Most of these devices would not support using an adapter to a smaller dock connector. I know my car and home stereo systems would not.

Though none of these third party device configurations are Apple's responsibility, you would think they would weigh this into any decision to go to a smaller dock connector.​

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
PLEASE, let it be ThunderBolt!!!!

if they changed the connector to thunderBolt it would serve many purposes.

Smaller connector
HD Video/Audio out to external displays
AMAZINGLY FAST transfer speeds.

The only reason I don't see them switching to thunderbolt, is that thunderbolt is not as thin as the current iPod connector.

Most reactions

Latest posts