What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple boasting new Popular Science Magazine Format

eflyersteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read in one review of this app, that the content is nearly identical to what is on the Popular Science website. Of course with this format, you get to take it offline (for a subscription fee). However, I've not used the app either so I cant say for sure if this is the case.

As a subscriber, I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has used both this app and the web content.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The PS magazine app is interesting, but it is like buying the magazine one at a time at a bookstore. Until they make it a practical option, or have a combined paper/app at a reasonable price, I doubt its value.

Grinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$60 per year? hahahahaha! Not in your life. Same price as normal subscription, maybe.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised the Popular Science app is struggling. The publishers that own it seem to have completely missed the point of the opportunity the iPad offers them.

They could go two ways. The iPad (or any tablet) version has no printing or distribution costs (that is what the cover price usually covers - advertising covers the content), so they could offer the same content as the paper magazine for a much reduced price (compared to paper). Or they could offer something with more content for the same price.

Most publishers seem to be going the latter route because they think it will save/make them more money. The problem is, readers aren't stupid and know that if there's no paper involved things should be much cheaper, or at least there should be A LOT more content.

I suspect the magazines will get badly burned by online (yet again) because they will end up having to produce much more (and much better) content for the iPad version than they're expecting in order to get people to pay. And that will inevitably increase their costs more than their income.

There is a third way that would allow many of the biggest magazines to give their magazine's away for free and make enough money to produce spectacular online products. But it'll take them a while, and probably a ton of losses, before they work it out.

Last edited:

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pricing is exactly the point - and will be the criteria for the success of availlable magazines. For me it looks like magazines like Time, PS, etc. are thinking iPad is the holy grail to help them reach the holy land......

Boys, wake up!!!!

Nobody will pay $60 for an online subscription, if you can get the print subscription for $25......and it' also delivered to you mailbox.....

If I would get the online subscription for the same amount, I buy the hardcopy subscription, hell yes, I would subscribe. But not if I feel ripped off.....

Sad, sad, sad

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw that! Thanks for the link.

Btw- whatever happened to WIRED magazines new version? Anyone know the scoop?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I eagerly downloaded the first issue this morning and spent a couple hours reading it and trying to navigate through the goofy interface.

Not very impressed, certainly with how the text vanishes and then you have to find it again. text also was over the pictures in the article which made it hard to read. Did not scroll through the pages very well. Was expected something more like the demo of the Sports Illustrated magazine with more pictures and more text. had very few advertisements which was disappointing as wanted to see some clips embedded etc..

Would not choose this way over a magazine at this time, I am sure it will improve so will keep watching.

jkwakopo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the app was pretty cool but definitely over priced. It also has tons of adds just like the printing ones. Not worth the price. I'll pay for the subscription if their price is same as print version one.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully Zinio will add Popular Science to their library. I noticed Zinio has Popular Mechanics in their library at $12 annual subscription. I have six subscriptions with them so far and love it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The price of ebooks is still posted between that of hardcovers and paperbacks; and it's been a few years now. I would be very surprised that magazines do not follow the same trend.

Remember that the iPad even having such phenomenal sales is still marginal as a form of reading magazines. We have to be patient if we expect a drop in prices. The cost of paper compared to the price of producing a magazine is not the biggest part of it. We must also add the costs of producing a different eformat .

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is going to be so many apps and downloads that people will run out of memory. I suspect the iPad may be like cell phones, in that every couple of years, a majority will upgrade to get newer and better. Especially hard drive capacity. I would not be surprised if my next iPad had over 100GB. I also would not be surprised if a popular add-on is a back protective cover that adds drive capacity.

Most reactions