What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App store application update issue

srkhn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some updates seen in my app store. Whenever i tab one of those 'UPDATE' buttons it directs me to that application.

Thanks...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that a lot of people are having this issue; they appear to be on iOS 7.x.

A solution I have heard that works is to go to the AppStore and make note of the upgrades needed.

Then, search for the app in the AppStore. Once you find the app, open the details page about it. On that page should be an Update button. If you then press that button, the update should happen.

I don't have this issue, but hopefully this will help you.

Marilyn

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, you can save a step or two... I'm having the same issue (as detailed here) and what I just realized is that if you are in your Updates list and instead of pressing on the "Update" button you press the app icon on the left twice, you get taken straight to the app's detail screen from where you can update the app. No need to write down and/or search for each app in the App Store.

Thanks; this seems to fix (for now) my issue as well. :)

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, this seems to be only a half fix. This lets me update the apps, but then the button still does not change from "Update" to "Open", so it looks like there continues to be an update available. At least they get moved out of the "Available Updates" section and the bubble on the icon gets cleared.

Still. Whatever they did, Apple screwed the pooch on this one.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, this seems to be only a half fix. This lets me update the apps, but then the button still does not change from "Update" to "Open", so it looks like there continues to be an update available. At least they get moved out of the "Available Updates" section and the bubble on the icon gets cleared.

Still. Whatever they did, Apple screwed the pooch on this one.

Huh. My sister told me this was happening to her, too! I guess the next question is - is the updated version actually downloaded, or are you still running the older version [after following this process]?

Marilyn

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Huh. My sister told me this was happening to her, too! I guess the next question is - is the updated version actually downloaded, or are you still running the older version [after following this process]?

Marilyn
Well, I am just now performing a "Transfer Purchases from iPad" in iTunes, and it is copying all the apps I just updated into the library, so I'd say it looks like the update process does work.

Having said that, I just realized that what I wrote in Message #3 only works on my iPhone but not on my iPad. I guess that's one of those little idiosyncracies between the same iOS running on different platforms...

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found that on my iPad the above mentioned process basically works with a small twist added.
-I look and make note of which apps need to be updated.
-then tap on "purchased" tab
-then on top right corner I change how the apps are displayed to "Name" that puts everything in alphabetical order. I find it easier this way.
-then when I find the app tap on the icon for the app. Not the update or open button.
-Once there you will be in the details page for that app. Tap on the update or open button (which ever one appears)

This does in fact download the updated version. I checked the version number before and after.

What an incredible pain in the ...
I am jailbroken so must wait for a jailbreak release on iOS 8 before I update my OS.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your additional ways/description on working around this issue. Hopefully, others will be able to work things out.

And I understand waiting on a jailbreak - I'd do the same if I hadn't gotten the new phone... :)

Marilyn

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have found that on my iPad the above mentioned process basically works with a small twist added.
-I look and make note of which apps need to be updated.
-then tap on "purchased" tab
-then on top right corner I change how the apps are displayed to "Name" that puts everything in alphabetical order. I find it easier this way.
-then when I find the app tap on the icon for the app. Not the update or open button.
-Once there you will be in the details page for that app. Tap on the update or open button (which ever one appears)

This does in fact download the updated version. I checked the version number before and after.

What an incredible pain in the ...
I am jailbroken so must wait for a jailbreak release on iOS 8 before I update my OS.

Thanks - This solution worked for me.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - This solution worked for me.
This solution didn't work for me. When I tried to update I got a message saying "the purchase could not be completed at this time, please try again later."
what gives?

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This solution didn't work for me. When I tried to update I got a message saying "the purchase could not be completed at this time, please try again later."
what gives?

Who knows? Don't know what to tell you. Did you try logging out of the App Store and back in? The logging out and back in thing didn't do anything for me but you seem to have a slightly different issue.
Good luck.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who knows? Don't know what to tell you. Did you try logging out of the App Store and back in? The logging out and back in thing didn't do anything for me but you seem to have a slightly different issue.
Good luck.
Yeah, I tried that

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just made another discovery. If on my iPad the app in question is an iPhone app and looking at the iPad apps sometimes on the list of purchased apps the iPhone apps still appear in the list of iPad apps. If I try to update the app from the wrong page it doesn't work. So if it's an iPhone app then select the iPhone only apps. Find your app in that list. I just read this back and it reads confusing. Oy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions