What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App similar to Good Reader !? - Auto Syn - Local Files !?

Lauro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I explain my problem, it's a bit difficult I think ;)

I'm working in the agriculture business. Our sales men (10 persons for the moment) have all her price lists on their ipads.
We are using Windows as system, price lists are totally in .pdf and the price lists are first listed by sales man, then by brand, then by product.

like the following:

Sale Man 1/ Brand A/ Product A
Sale Man 1/ Brand A/ Product B
Sale Man 1/ Brand A/ Product C

Sale Man 2/ Brand B/ Product A
Sale Man 2/ Brand B/ Product B
Sale Man 2/ Brand B/ Product C

Every sales man has different brands, so the contest of the ipads are a bit different.

At the moment i'm using DiskAid to copy the files. Every monday I drag an drop the entire folder of every Sales man. So the folder Sale Man 2 (for example) with all subfolder of brands an products is going to the ipad of sales man 2. Folder: Sales man3 is going to the ipad Sales Man 3 and so on.

I'm syncing this with a cable but it takes to much time to sync it cause I can just sync one person at the time (1,7gb takes about 60 minutes to copy)

Now I saw in DiskAid that I can sync by Wifi. My question is if I can let the 10 Ipads sync together over the night or if there is a software which i can configure to sync a specified folder to a specified Ipad without using a cable.
I read about Good Reader but it seems that it is not as easy as that.

Does somebody have the same issues?

Every answer would help me

Big thanks in advance

Best regards from Luxembourg

and so on.

The price list are different from one to anothe sales man.
Everything is

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not put GoodReader on each iPad and then get a Dropbox, Skydrive, or SugarSync account. Then give all of your sales people access to the dropbox account. Then use the Automatic Sync feature Goodreader. Then all you need to do is copy the files into the right folder in dropbox/skyrive,sugarsync. Then, let each salesperson sync only with the folder for them. This way, they only sync with the folder that contains his/her list of products. Just make sure all the iPads for each person can get to droxbox (via Wifi). Then you do the updating and GoodReader will keep each iPads synced up. No need to sync all files to each iPad, just to the one for each salesperson.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lauro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not put GoodReader on each iPad and then get a Dropbox, Skydrive, or SugarSync account. Then give all of your sales people access to the dropbox account. Then use the Automatic Sync feature Goodreader. Then all you need to do is copy the files into the right folder in dropbox/skyrive,sugarsync. Then, let each salesperson sync only with the folder for them. This way, they only sync with the folder that contains his/her list of products. Just make sure all the iPads for each person can get to droxbox (via Wifi). Then you do the updating and GoodReader will keep each iPads synced up. No need to sync all files to each iPad, just to the one for each salesperson.

hi,

thanks for the fast reply.
can I, with Goodreader, configure that the sync will just be done with a wifi connection??
And can the salesman not change the configuration of the dropbox sync. I don't want that they change it and they will have all price lists.

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Box.com will give you more control over what persons have access to what folders and/or files than DropBox will. It is set up with the kind of controls that businesses typically need. It's a little more trouble to set up than DropBox (on the cloud side) because there is more to set up, but used basically the same way in GoodReader.

PDF Expert would also be a good choice as a PDF app for this purpose. Both apps can be set up to sync with either service, however I find the syncing a bit easier, both setup and forcing a manual sync, with the PDF Expert app. There are probably a half dozen other PDF reader apps out there that will do the job, as both DropBox and Box are popular and well supported cloud services.

The iPads will require an internet connection to sync. If they are on your office wi-fi that will work. Hold in mind that the syncing process will be slower than what you are used to from using a USB cable.

Once set up, you would only need to change the contents of the Box.com folders (or DropBox) that you've given access to each person. Once it was updated you can either, yourself, open the app and make sure an sync has occurred, or instruct your salespersons to do so before leaving the network.

There are probably a few other bugs and procedures to work out, but in theory they should all be solvable.

Most reactions

Latest posts