What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App for saving text file?

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could someone please recommend an app that's basically a simple text editor. I want to be able to write a note or list or whatever, and then save it with a filename for opening quickly again later.

--
Terry

OP
terrypin

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Purpleorchid.

Excuse the change of topic, but any chance of some photos of those DIY stands please?

--
Terry

Wonfuji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Graywolf

Heres the full story.

We are running FMGo on an iPad.
The client travels with it and links back to to his Filemaker server to review daily sales etc using FMGo. This is all handled via a specific iPad designed layout - he clicks buttons and views reports in PDF preview.
Sometimes, at shows, (he sells high-end glasses), he likes to be able to produce on the fly reports for suppliers about sales in a particular period of time - so I provide him with Excel export from Filemaker.
This is, of course, not a Go feature. I can export the contents of a field, and I fill the field with data gathered into a variable as we loop through records. The data is all tab separated with valid line feeds, I stuff it into the body of an eMail and he copies the body then discards the eMail.
If he pastes into numbers we get the data in two forms: 1) all in one field or 2) in some find of floating object that I don't follow.
I am thinking that if I could get the data into a text file and save it somewhere (Dropbox, iDisk) he can pull that into Numbers and open it.

I can also export the field contents but all I get is txt files.

The goal would be to create a file that I can code Filemaker to open in the IOS and then pass to another iApp - and one of the choices to view in would be Numbers. Problem is is that Filemaker will export the contents of the field as .txt no matter what extension I try to force. Eg. I export field as "Data.numbers" but the IOS creates "Data.txt". So what I really need to figure out is a way to get a Numbers sensitive file out.

Wonfuji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Graywolf

The goal of this is no computer involvement - just the iPad. If I need to involve a laptop then I don't really need the iPad in the loop at all - would like to travel with just the iPad.

The sticky bit is that pasting tab separated data into Numbers on the laptop works fine - data spreads into rows and columns. Doing the same with Numbers in the iPad either a) drops all the data into a single cell or b) creates what appears to be a floating graphic.

Most reactions