What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have experience with iGo's Stowaway BT keyboard?

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4562192203_37061a2702.jpg

iGo Stowaway Keyboard

002-stowaway.jpg

Folding Bluetooth Keyboard Works With iPad | iGo With My iPad

Retail listed was $100+, but found it for 78.49 on Amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Handhelds/dp/B0002OKCXE]Amazon.com: iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard for PDAs and Handhelds: Electronics[/ame]

Does anyone have any experience with these foldable keyboards?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using one since I bought my iPad 3 months ago. They work just fine and are so convenient to carry around. I like the soft carry case they come in too. I had the keyboard before I bought my iPad and used it with my Nokia mobile 'phone and, after I'd bought my iPad just thought I'd try it. Was surprised to find it worked first time with no problems at all.

I find fitting the batteries a bit 'fiddly', but they last a long time. The keyboard automatically goes to sleep after you've not typed for a while (there is no power switch) so, when you start to type again, it takes a second or two for the Bluetooth link to be re-established, but all the text is buffered. Same when you first unfold the keyboard and start using it. Initially the iPad pops up the on-screen keyboard. But just start typing on the BT keyboard and, after a second or two, the BT link is automatically re-established, the on-screen keyboard disappears and the buffered characters that you typed while the BT link was being established all pop up on the screen.

Tim
Scotland

Macdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1

I used to use mine with a Pocket PC. After I got my iPad last summer I came across my old folding keyboard and gave it a go. Works fine.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems with holding the Ipad up? If not I might look for one myself.

Last edited:

Macdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, no problem at all. Put your keyboard and iPad in discoverable mode, type in the number the iPad asks for and off you go.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The keyboard is not designed (at least the one I've got) to physically support the iPad. It has a small detachable support 'stand' that can support mobile 'phones, but it's far too small for the iPad. I have the Apple iPad case, which has a screen cover that folds to tilt the iPad up at an angle of perhaps 20-30 degrees. This is fine for reading for me and OK for typing too but is nothing like a 'normal' monitor screen angle or the angle you get from the Apple 'dock'.

Tim
Scotland

plymouthred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The keyboard is not designed (at least the one I've got) to physically support the iPad. It has a small detachable support 'stand' that can support mobile 'phones, but it's far too small for the iPad. I have the Apple iPad case, which has a screen cover that folds to tilt the iPad up at an angle of perhaps 20-30 degrees. This is fine for reading for me and OK for typing too but is nothing like a 'normal' monitor screen angle or the angle you get from the Apple 'dock'.

Tim
Scotland

A great thread indeed and thanks :)

Reading this reminded me that I had one of these keyboards from around 2005-2006 which was on special offer at the time so hunted high and low and found it buried in a cupboard. Popped in two times AAA batteries, Googled how to start it and hey presto all working nicely :D

Mine does acutally support the weight of the iPad 2 but with the keyboard not being 100% flush to the table it does tend to 'bounce' around a little bit so wouldn't trust it out and about but fine for in the home.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a pity they stopped making them...but there are alternates...I still use this keyboard but I have a another make from Amazon just in case the iGo should fail. I type a lot on the iPad so I'd miss a real keyboard for even a day.

Tim

plymouthred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plymouthred said:
Mine does actually support the weight of the iPad 2 but with the keyboard not being 100% flush to the table it does tend to 'bounce' around a little bit so wouldn't trust it out and about but fine for in the home.

Amendment to my last......it supports in landscape mode but not in portrait mode. Just tried it and it wobbled and tipped over but no damage done :)

Sent from my White 32gb Wifi & 3g iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts