What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have an IPAD screen break from being in a hot car?

pnation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have deployed IPADs to our whole salesteam & I have a guy telling me his IPAD was fine when he put in the car (Dingo its 97 degrees why did you do that :mad:) but when he got back in his car his screen was damaged? Is this really the possible reason or is he making it up? We are trying to decide if he needs to pay the bill or us to get it fixed? Anyone else heard of this issue?

Thanks pnation

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I image you're going to have problems if you leave an iPad in a hot car. As far as how much damage it depends on how long it's been in the car. Did he try the screen when the iPad cooled down? Sometimes that works that all it was being overheated.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tell the team not to leave them in the car. The kind of heat that can build up in a car can't be good for a computer.

Bobbi

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say I've heard of an iPad screen cracking from the heat.....but it just isn't good for them to be left anywhere hot. They will shut down when overheated even from using them in the sun on a hot day.

Have a look to see if you can see any point of impact from a drop or if it's been bent out of alignment if something heavy has been placed on them, like sitting on one.

We have had reports from members of a screen cracking for no good reason, I'm thinking as with anything, you can have imperfections in any type of glass, but Apple themselves have shown they don't tend to believe this.

I myself had a shower screen explode as I was walking past it, it was explained that any imperfection in glass along with change in temperature can trigger this event.

I hope this helps you with your decision on what to do.

Some more info.

The best solution we have for fixing a broken iPad is to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store....you will not need your receipt as they can look up all relevant info at the store. They will most probably offer to replace your iPad but for a cost...it's normally half of the original cost of the iPad. If this is fine by you, make sure you do a complete backup of your iPad before you go.

There are other businesses that can do this for you which will probably be cheaper but be aware that this will void your warranty, but then again your warranty would already be voided because of the cracked screen. If you do replace with Apple, your warranty is reinstated. I have also heard many members who have gone the cheaper route then find that their WiFi will not work as this has been damaged by the replacing of the screen.

In addition, you can also contact Apple customer service. Here are some great web sites to aid you in your repair search:

Contact Info:
http://www.apple.com/contact/

Apple Support:
http://www.apple.com/support/

Check for Warranty:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

For those of you not living in the USA, here is a link whereby you can select your country and then be directed to the Apple site for your country:

http://www.apple.com/choose-your-country/

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We have deployed IPADs to our whole salesteam & I have a guy telling me his IPAD was fine when he put in the car (Dingo its 97 degrees why did you do that :mad:) but when he got back in his car his screen was damaged? Is this really the possible reason or is he making it up? We are trying to decide if he needs to pay the bill or us to get it fixed? Anyone else heard of this issue?

Hi Pnation - your emoticon is appropriate - leaving an electronic device in a car w/ closed windows when the outdoor temperature approaching 100 degrees F is pretty careless (and idiotic - sorry did not want to say that! ;)) - this Apple Support Article is pretty clear about the recommended top temps for the device; NOW, as to screen damage - not sure? Glass will have an expansion coefficient (and the screen is glued) - I'm a woodworker and need to always consider wood movement (more relative to humidity), so glass expansion at a high temp might cause damage - I'm sure Apple has tested this - I'd be curious if an iPad under warranty w/ screen damage in the manner described would be covered - maybe, just not sure? Dave :)

OP
P

pnation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That helps me make my decision. I didn't know replacing glass voids warranty so that was great to learn. We don't have an Apple Store here I'm in the Midwest and the closest one is 3.5 hours away in Chicago. Bummer. It's always my first stop when I visit Chi town though. Great advice and links. I emailed all my used to remind them not to leave an iPad or any electronic device in the car when its hot. I thought that was common sense but apparently not for my users lol. I also found a picture of an egg cooking on the back of an iPad to include as a joke and man did I get alot of smart ass comments back. Lol. It was funny though. Thanks again. Loving this forum.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a you tube film ware they freeze an ipad then put in hot oven and it still works after a dip in a fish tank.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That helps me make my decision. I didn't know replacing glass voids warranty so that was great to learn. We don't have an Apple Store here I'm in the Midwest and the closest one is 3.5 hours away in Chicago. Bummer. It's always my first stop when I visit Chi town though. Great advice and links. I emailed all my used to remind them not to leave an iPad or any electronic device in the car when its hot. I thought that was common sense but apparently not for my users lol. I also found a picture of an egg cooking on the back of an iPad to include as a joke and man did I get alot of smart ass comments back. Lol. It was funny though. Thanks again. Loving this forum.

Glad to help and hope your Users will heed your warning. Great sense of humour too!

Thanks for the feedback.....it's always appreciated! Enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts