What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to recover photos if never backed up Ipad 2?

gpharman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a client who never backed up or synced her Ipad 2. Her child accidently set a password and couldn't figure it out. She ended up with it locked and they took it to best buy where the Geek Squad made it new again but she lost pictures of her recently deceased mother. Is there any way to recover these without a backup file. Computer drives are easy to do, but the Ipad will not show up as a drive on the computer . I have tried at least 10 different programs and data recovery programs but cannot find one that will see the ipad as a drive or even a device. I can see it on the computer, but not in any data recovery programs. Because there is no back up file, none of the Ipad programs seem to work either. I either need a way to make it show up as a drive, or I need a program that doesn't rely on a backup file. Please help, thanks in advance.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I don't believe you are going to be able to get the photos back using any of the usual methods. I don't know if jail breaking it would help though. Someone else might be able to answer that. But, since it was set as a new device...... I think the photos are gone. Unfortunately.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but not even jail breaking the device will help. If there is no backup file and the iPad has been restored, I m afraid those pictures are gone.

Marilyn

P.S. For those that may be confused, I merged two identical threads together. So, to gpharman: Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.*

Last edited:

madliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you need to gain a ipad data recovery program which can mount your iPad 2 as hard drive on computer.

OP
G

gpharman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know where to find one that will mount it as a hard drive. I have tried over 20 programs so far and none will see it as a hard drive. Please tell what program I need. Thanks.George

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I certainly don't know, and don't want to discourage you from trying, but the iPad uses flash memory - unlike a disk drive, so a single state change will remove a bit and I don't think it is recoverable with today's technology.

I also think when an iPad is restored as new that the entire flash is wiped - Apple is so anal about security and data control (a philosophy I appreciate with my iOS devices) I cannot see them missing this and leaving data available for a non-authorized user.

You are most likely out of luck, and I am sorry for both of your client's losses, their mother and the memories in the pictures.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a client who never backed up or synced her Ipad 2. Her child accidently set a password and couldn't figure it out. She ended up with it locked and they took it to best buy where the Geek Squad made it new again but she lost pictures of her recently deceased mother. Is there any way to recover these without a backup file. Computer drives are easy to do, but the Ipad will not show up as a drive on the computer . I have tried at least 10 different programs and data recovery programs but cannot find one that will see the ipad as a drive or even a device. I can see it on the computer, but not in any data recovery programs. Because there is no back up file, none of the Ipad programs seem to work either. I either need a way to make it show up as a drive, or I need a program that doesn't rely on a backup file. Please help, thanks in advance.

Hi gpharman,

It is possible to recover anything if it is not overwritten.

check this http://www.recovery-android.com/recover-iphone-ipad-ipod-data.html

I
t can recover directly from Iphone , Ipad or from backup. You have to pay to use but you can download free version just to see if it can see the photos. I tried it on my ipad mini and it saw photos I deleted.

If they are important perhaps worth paying for.

Good luck.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A deleted file is different than an erased file. This may work, but think of the implications - I lose my iPhone or iPad, som unscrupulous dude (or dudette) picks it up VIOLA all my data is available. Second scenario: my iPad or iPhone is damaged, I replace it under Apple Care, they replace the screen and use it as a refurb.... VIOLA my data in someone else's possession. Or worse, how many took advantage of the offer to buy your old phone to help defray the cost of your new one? You all watched them restore it to new but... yep someone has access to all your data. I am not sure, even though it says it can, that it is recoverable data after refreshing as new.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A deleted file is different than an erased file. This may work, but think of the implications - I lose my iPhone or iPad, som unscrupulous dude (or dudette) picks it up VIOLA all my data is available. Second scenario: my iPad or iPhone is damaged, I replace it under Apple Care, they replace the screen and use it as a refurb.... VIOLA my data in someone else's possession. Or worse, how many took advantage of the offer to buy your old phone to help defray the cost of your new one? You all watched them restore it to new but... yep someone has access to all your data. I am not sure, even though it says it can, that it is recoverable data after refreshing as new.
You are right about erase versus delete, the program may or may not work depending on its strength. There has been some occasions where refurbished phones were recovered such as data, photo etc. Jonathan Zdziarski who wrote a forensic manual for the iPhone have seen these cases many times. Granted this was a couple of years ago and maybe Apple improved it's erase procedure. It only take them few seconds to wipe the phone while proper wipe will take hours. Even on SSD drives the erase secure method depends on the hardware and the controllers, encryption strength etc. and no flash manufacturer will guarantee 100% safe erase. I do know Apple uses hardware encryption and they delete the encryption key but still there were cases where data were recovered from refurbished phones. As I said it may or may not work depending on the strength of its algorithm, it is free and nothing to lose by trying.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts