What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any recommendations for under 5 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All iPads are under 5 years old. The first was released in April of 2010.

Sorry, it's 2am here, and that means I think I'm funny.

The subject does come up now and then. Try using the Search (top right) for 'children'. You should get a few threads. Something to read while you wait to see if anyone has more recent suggestions.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any app recommendations for under 5 year olds?

Not to be the 'devil's advocate' here, but how 'old' is your child and are you planning to let him or her use the iPad unsupervised - these are relatively expensive devices (vs. plastic toys) and being so portable can easily be damaged; plus, I'm not sure 'how much' thought and reading you have done concerning the appropriate time to let a child use a tablet - if not already done, you might want to google 'kids and tablets what age is OK' - there are plenty of interesting hits, such as THIS ONE with varied opinions and suggestions.

For myself not an issue, our son is now in his early 40s - I bought our first computer in 1980 (an Apple II+) and he (7 y/o) used it w/o a problem, but it was a desktop w/ built-in keyboard - would I have gotten him a tablet? Not sure but he was fairly mature at that age and probably would have been quite careful - if he had been 3 or 4 yrs old, I likely would have had my wife or I sitting next to him - but all supposition on my part - good luck in your decision. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not to be the 'devil's advocate' here, but how 'old' is your child and are you planning to let him or her use the iPad unsupervised - these are relatively expensive devices (vs. plastic toys) and being so portable can easily be damaged; . . .

I'm not sure about the whole potty part, but the CTA PAD-POTTY (with the seat cover in place) always looked like a safe way to let toddlers use an iPad. It's secure, and it gives them a place to use it, instead of just turning them loose with one in hand.

Up to three, would be a good use case. I'm guessing four to five year olds would be insulted; especially if they figure out what it's supposed to be.

OP
K

kopite76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some third party media apps actually have a setting to remember where your up to if you stop a video and come back later to continue. The stock Video app does not have that feature.

I use NPlayer, which has this feature.

Not to be the 'devil's advocate' here, but how 'old' is your child and are you planning to let him or her use the iPad unsupervised - these are relatively expensive devices (vs. plastic toys) and being so portable can easily be damaged; plus, I'm not sure 'how much' thought and reading you have done concerning the appropriate time to let a child use a tablet - if not already done, you might want to google 'kids and tablets what age is OK' - there are plenty of interesting hits, such as THIS ONE with varied opinions and suggestions.

For myself not an issue, our son is now in his early 40s - I bought our first computer in 1980 (an Apple II+) and he (7 y/o) used it w/o a problem, but it was a desktop w/ built-in keyboard - would I have gotten him a tablet? Not sure but he was fairly mature at that age and probably would have been quite careful - if he had been 3 or 4 yrs old, I likely would have had my wife or I sitting next to him - but all supposition on my part - good luck in your decision. Dave :)

my son is 3 years old. he's been using my ipad since he was 2.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
my son is 3 years old. he's been using my ipad since he was 2.

Hello - my comments were not at all meant to be disparaging - but you may help others making a decision on when a young one is able to use an iPad; e.g. just for starters, what supervision do you provide when your son is using the device? Do you use any 'protective' cases on the iPad? Just might help others in the same situation - our son was rather precocious and I'd likely would have started him on a tablet early (but maybe not an expensive one - ;)) - Dave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts