What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another use for iPad

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountbike,

The cab passengers love it. I got everything on there from Otis Redding to Taylor Swift and Nelly. And a hundred others. I got Michael and I got Janet and I got J-Lo and so on and so forth.

1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, and the popular tunes and groups and artists from right now.

Other than that, the rest of it is a piece of shit.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All very nice, but the sound on iPad is horrible, unless you use Headset or connect to some external Speaker.

I got a friend who does similar thing , only his customers are his kids who watch Video movies on long drives. Says it's great. Now he got quite rides every other weekend visiting his parents up in the north.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use external speakers that are powered by four AAA rechargable batteries. Sounds just fine.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is another funny story from a few months ago before I got an iPad2.

I am driving my taxicab along and a businesspersonlady passenger get an email on her little Blackberry device. The email has a file attachment that is a graphic and she cannot even see it on her Blackberry.

So I offer her the use of a real computer with a 10 inch screen and I set it to the Google homepage so that she can navigate from there.

Within about fifteen seconds she has gotten to her email and her file attachment and opened it on a real computer and now she can see it and either approve it or edit it.

There is a difference between a real Windows computer and anything else.

The difference may be slight but when you want to actually do something you need a real computer with a real operating system.

A make believe computer or telephone is malfunction junction when you really need to do something.

When you really need to do something you unleash the dogs of war which is Windows on a computer. The make believe stuff is for playing solitaire.

Reaction score
You've /she evidently never used a Droid . Nothing personal.
It would suck as a big screen video player like what you've done with your Ipad.
My hat is off to you being so customer friendly to even allow them to use your computer. Pretty cool stuff

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

james4133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A simple suggestion...
There are some good cases out (or coming soon) which will protect it from those bumps or falling off the passengers' laps, and make it last longer, if you don't have one already.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
James,

I have the Armor-All front and back sheet protector already installed.

I cannot keep dumbasses from letting fall on the floor. If it get broken, it gets broken. If it gets stolen, it gets stolen.

It is an overpriced make believe 2/3 computer to me. I am not all that emotionally attached to it.

My own personal review of the iPad2 is that I do not care that it costs too much. I do care that is does too little. No Flash. No USB port and no legitimate operating system. Lousy web browser.

Apple has a niche market working the same as Louis Vitton or Polo Ralph Lauren. Or Nike or Levi. Or some beer brand on some vodka brand.

Does it work? Barely. Does it work well? No.

I have been messing around with PC since the Commodore 64 and I am not a grouch but my standards are pretty high.

Would I recommed the iPad2 to a friend? Only if the friend has money to waste and does not care about performance.

You can buy a netbook from newegg.com for about 250 dollars that is ten time better than a tweaked iPad at any price.

Ten time greater CPU capacity and ten times greater memory and ten times greater storage for one-third the price.

Apple should market the iPad as the computer for people who do not know or care about computers.

If you know or care about computers you would not even look at any iPad.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
James,

I have been messing around with PC since the Commodore 64 and I am not a grouch but my standards are pretty high.

Would I recommed the iPad2 to a friend? Only if the friend has money to waste and does not care about performance.

You can buy a netbook from newegg.com for about 250 dollars that is ten time better than a tweaked iPad at any price.

Ten time greater CPU capacity and ten times greater memory and ten times greater storage for one-third the price.

Apple should market the iPad as the computer for people who do not know or care about computers.

iPad is not a computer. For me it is mainly
  1. Multi Magazine reader.
  2. Multi Book reader.
  3. Fast Mail composer in bed.
  4. A Web Browser you can carry to bed.

Nothing from the above list you can get with a Lap-Top.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
James,

I have the Armor-All front and back sheet protector already installed.

I cannot keep dumbasses from letting fall on the floor. If it get broken, it gets broken. If it gets stolen, it gets stolen.

It is an overpriced make believe 2/3 computer to me. I am not all that emotionally attached to it.

My own personal review of the iPad2 is that I do not care that it costs too much. I do care that is does too little. No Flash. No USB port and no legitimate operating system. Lousy web browser.

Apple has a niche market working the same as Louis Vitton or Polo Ralph Lauren. Or Nike or Levi. Or some beer brand on some vodka brand.

I'm happy with my iPads, my netbooks and my laptop. Different uses, different devices. Individuals can best decide what works for them, and what they can afford, not some random stranger who presumes stuff about people they don't know anything about.

Reaction score
Can we please get back to how much fun it is for the customers riding in the cab and how much the op enjoys allowing their customers to do so?
The mods are super fast to close stuff down because they have to, poop rolling down hill and all, so let's get back to the fun.
RickyBobby, any stories of reactions to some of the videos they choose from? Ever get any foreigners that get all excited over American videos? I know you mentioned most have what we have but I am just wondering if you get any funny( haha) reactions to your perks of riding in your cab.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KKK,

Thanks for the good advice but I am the worst businessperson and salesperson that you can imagine.

Every hotel has a concierge desk that has the job of keeping track of all the things you mentioned.

I just use it for the passengers' entertainment. But it does irk me when it falls off the seat or their lap and I hear the "thunk" when it hits the floor.

iPad2 abuse! Steve Jobs would hate me if he knew.

My job is to drive the taxicab safely with 100% of my attention so I just hand the iPad to them and ask them to pick a video if they see one they like.

That makes me kind of goofy but that is okay. I have been that way for a long time.

Speck has some fun cases that both protect the iPad and make it easy to handle.

iGuy - Fun Cover for iPad & iPad 2 | iPad 2 case | iPad case | iPad cover

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In this modern age of 2011 I want to try to use the iPad2 as a taxicab rider accessory to scroll through the popular music video downloads I have put on there and pick their favorite. It may be more interactive than to just stare at the vehicle in front of us until we get to their destination.

This is not a mainstream use of the iPad2 and it does require some sort of external speakers to get some music volume and stereo separation.

With a minivan cab I have a little stereo speaker set and I set the iPad2 on the cupholder and at least the front seat passenger and the two middle seat passengers can see the video screen properly. With a sedan cab I hook the iPad2 to the MP3 jack on the car stereo and the volume can be as loud as they like it. It just let the back seat passengers hold it because I have not yet developed a mounting system that would be above the gear shift lever.

Good fun, all in all. It does play preloaded music videos like a champ.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has fallen to the floor a hundred times or so but it seems to be unbreakable so that is another thing in its favor.

Most reactions