What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another use for iPad

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad in a way that I have not yet seen mentioned in this forum.

I drive a taxicab in Las Vegas and I put a hundred or so music videos on the iPad. It is sort of obvious that I cannot play with computers while driving the cab so I simply hand it to a passenger. I have it connected to a little remote speaker set with a two dollar patch cord.

Anyhow, the passengers are delighted because most cab drivers to not simply hand them a computer of any sort.

The most popular music video chosen is Empire State of Mind by Jay Z and Alicia Keys and the second most popular pick is Bad Romance by Lady Gaga.

At night, when the iPad is not competing with the sunlight, it looks really impressive. It is okay in the daytime also but it really shines at night.

It certainly works better with young people who care about music videos than older passenger who could care less.

Just another fun use for the iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those riders who don't care, you might cut and paste links for good restaurants, other things to do, etc. Good to offer good service. Hope it helps boost your tips. Maybe you have deals with certain businesses, to direct business their way? You could create a menu of such businesses, highlighting them with blurbs and such.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KKK,

Thanks for the good advice but I am the worst businessperson and salesperson that you can imagine.

Every hotel has a concierge desk that has the job of keeping track of all the things you mentioned.

I just use it for the passengers' entertainment. But it does irk me when it falls off the seat or their lap and I hear the "thunk" when it hits the floor.

iPad2 abuse! Steve Jobs would hate me if he knew.

My job is to drive the taxicab safely with 100% of my attention so I just hand the iPad to them and ask them to pick a video if they see one they like.

That makes me kind of goofy but that is okay. I have been that way for a long time.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

I do not itemize by taxes. If I told the IRS how much I spent on computers and phones and services they would audit me to the poorhouse.

It is just my hobby and I do it for fun.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a music video on the iPad2 called "Crazy" by a country singer called "Lee Brice" that I think of as my wedding and anniversary song.

I picked up this couple in their fifties who had just gotten married the day before and I congradulated them and gave them my best wishes and told them that I had a song for them that is the idealized version of marriage.

The cabfare was 16 dollars and the hubby gave me 40.

Besides being fun, it can be profitable to have an iPad2 in a taxicab and know how to use it.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David,

It is all for fun and on the rare occasions that I have a good idea I like to share it.

I did put on a music video by Tupac which is mainly strong cuss words and I may have to delete that one. Tupac is a music giant but I do not want to offend anyone.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbike,

I am just trying to have a little fun while staying within the rules.

The intuitive nature of the iPad screen makes it easy for the passengers to scroll until they see a title that they like. Then they tap and then the video plays. Like magic!

I have a little more fun by asking people from other countries if they get hip hop and pop music from America where they live? Or Oprah Winfrey or Desperate Housewives or How I Met Your Mother? A lot of times they tell me that they get everything I get and on the same day.

Again, it is all in fun.

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gray,

I totally agree with you but in my case I intended to have the iPad2 to be an entertainment device for total strangers.

The way that I use my iPad is different and I did not put any personal info or bank accounts of passwords on the thing.

Let's face it. By the end of the year it is either going to get stolen, broken, or bought.

It was just seven hundred dollars and I do not get my undies all bunched up over seven hundred dollars.

I would miss the Star Walk app. That is a killer is you like the night sky.

But if worse comes to worse I would just have to buy another iPad and buy the app again.

It is a lot of fun the way I use it. I have an external hotspot so it gets the internet all the time. The Safari internet browser sucks big time but at least it lets them get to Google which is the internet browser these days.

A taxicab with free personal entertainment! That is novel!

It is all in fun anyhow and it really does not cost all that much.

Reaction score
Well if your Ipad breaks and you replace it as long as you use the same iTunes account you won't have to buy the apps again, just download them to the new device.
I get the feeling it's not as much about the Ipad as it is about the customers and going above the norm.
Star Walk is a nice one btw, my favorite night time outdoors with the family app. I didn't have an Ipad last summer when we went camping and used Google Sky on my phone. I'm looking forward to the bigger screen in the mountains (no light pollution) next time we go

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

OP
R

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountbike,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice but if the iPad2 breaks or is stolen there is no way that I would replace it.

A real computer with the Windows 7 operating system is so much better that there is not even any reason to even talk about it.

I will use my iPad2 as a video player but my standards are set so high that I do not even consider it to be a computer.

Reaction score
Gotcha, just commenting on the post where you said you'd buy another one and the app again.
If you read some of my other posts you'll see my stance on the Ipad, not going there in this thread other than to concur with your view of it.
Anyway it sounds like you have fun with your customers and the Ipad. My hat is off to that

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts