What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Noob Checking in

jhowton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello from Chicagoland,

I'm sitting around waiting for April 3rd like everyone else. I have a 64GB Wi-Fi model ordered.

I currently have three computers: a 17" MBP, a Dell Mini 10V running Snow Leopard, and a Dell Mini 1012 running Ubuntu 9.10. I also use a Dell with Vista at work that I connect to by RDC from OSX.

I have used both generations of iPhone and only recently switched to a Google Nexus One on AT&T (although I am keeping my iPhone for now).

I have used Apple products personally since the late 70's, have administered Novell and Windows networks and generally messed about with computers for years.

I'm excited about the iPad, I think it's going to be pretty good.

Robert G Cole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have three laptops in the house, two with Windows 7, one with XP, Two desktop on XP, two wireless router in the network with a 10 port 10/100 switch. I kind of dabble in the PC world a little bit.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums.net! How are you liking the Nexus One? I've been thinking seriously about getting one since the AT&T version was released a few days ago?

OP
J

jhowton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums.net! How are you liking the Nexus One? I've been thinking seriously about getting one since the AT&T version was released a few days ago?

As of this morning I just wiped my iPhone 3GS and gave it to my wife, so it's safe to say I like the N1 a lot. I hate to say it's better than the iPhone but it is (but only marginally). <<--This is my OPINION so no flames please

The call quality is fantastic; there is an additional microphone on the back of the phone that reads background noise for noise cancellation and auto volume control purposes. Additionally, I get a 3G connection in places I rarely had any signal with my iPhone - places like my basement office with concrete walls and only two small windows. That's on AT&T with a new AT&T phone and I live 50 miles from Chicago in a rural area.

It is very fast (1GHz processor vs 600MHz for 3GS).

The screen is gorgeous at 400x800 resolution, however not as easy to see in daylight as the iPhone.

It can do everything the iPhone can including syncing with Exchange Server (3rd party app but it sync's Mail, Contacts, Calendar and tasks), .Mac mail, POP mail, IMAP, etc.

Some nice stuff built in: a good camera 5 megapixels with led flash which works well for still or video, Google visual voicemail that sends you a transcript of the voicemail via email with a link to download the audio, voice input is available for most data input fields and actually works well, turn by turn navigation, and a bunch that I'm still discovering as I go along.

The one glaring negative right now is that the "Android Market" is nowhere near as comprehensive as the "Appstore". That is a big negative for me but I decided to compromise here since I have an iPad on the way and a couple of iPod Touch's laying around anyway.

Another negative is the absence of iTunes support. You can manually copy music and video from iTunes to the micro SD card via USB or Bluetooth but any movies or music with DRM won't play on the N1 player.

In general I would say Android is closer to linux than OSX in feel. It's open source so you can tinker at will, I like that.

There are clearly compromises with choosing either phone over the other and given those compromises I think that I like the feature set of the N1 just slightly more than that of the iPhone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As of this morning I just wiped my iPhone 3GS and gave it to my wife, so it's safe to say I like the N1 a lot. I hate to say it's better than the iPhone but it is (but only marginally). <<--This is my OPINION so no flames please

The call quality is fantastic; there is an additional microphone on the back of the phone that reads background noise for noise cancellation and auto volume control purposes. Additionally, I get a 3G connection in places I rarely had any signal with my iPhone - places like my basement office with concrete walls and only two small windows. That's on AT&T with a new AT&T phone and I live 50 miles from Chicago in a rural area.

It is very fast (1GHz processor vs 600MHz for 3GS).

The screen is gorgeous at 400x800 resolution, however not as easy to see in daylight as the iPhone.

It can do everything the iPhone can including syncing with Exchange Server (3rd party app but it sync's Mail, Contacts, Calendar and tasks), .Mac mail, POP mail, IMAP, etc.

Some nice stuff built in: a good camera 5 megapixels with led flash which works well for still or video, Google visual voicemail that sends you a transcript of the voicemail via email with a link to download the audio, voice input is available for most data input fields and actually works well, turn by turn navigation, and a bunch that I'm still discovering as I go along.

The one glaring negative right now is that the "Android Market" is nowhere near as comprehensive as the "Appstore". That is a big negative for me but I decided to compromise here since I have an iPad on the way and a couple of iPod Touch's laying around anyway.

Another negative is the absence of iTunes support. You can manually copy music and video from iTunes to the micro SD card via USB or Bluetooth but any movies or music with DRM won't play on the N1 player.

In general I would say Android is closer to linux than OSX in feel. It's open source so you can tinker at will, I like that.

There are clearly compromises with choosing either phone over the other and given those compromises I think that I like the feature set of the N1 just slightly more than that of the iPhone.

Agreed...I love my droid, but man the market blows!! I still use my iPod Touch and just wifi tether it to my droid, plan on doing that with the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts