What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anker PowerCore 16000 2-Port Power Bank review

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The PowerCore 16000 is a rechargeable battery unit that can then be used to charge a slave device connected to it via USB. Included in the package is the Power Bank, micro USB cable, user manual, and travel pouch.

This measures in at 16.6 x 5.8 x 2.2 cm and weighs 340g. It feels sturdy in the hand, in part due to the weight of the internal battery and also thanks to the good construction on offer. The unit does have a matt, textured all over finish which avoids fingerprints but may still slide on a smooth surface.

It features four LEDs on the top to indicate remaining power and a power button on one side to enable this indicator. There is no LED torch function with this power bank which is common place on many others but truth be told, while handy, that is a feature I'm likely to use so no great loss here. On the end it has two full sized USB ports as well as a micro USB port for recharging. It takes around 7.5 hours to fully recharge the unit from empty using a 2A charger. There is no supplied charger but the included cable or indeed any other micro USB cable can be used in connection with any USB source.

From a full charge, 16,000 mAh of portable power is on offer. To put this in an IOS perspective, an iPhone 6 rated @ 1,810 mAh could be fully charged around 8 times. An iPad mini @ 4,490 mAh could be charged three times while a full sized iPad Air 2 @ 7,340 mAh could be charged twice. These figures are best case scenario though and likely to be lower due to inefficiencies with charging in general. The USB ports are not labelled with their output but utilise Anker's PowerIQ Technology to detect the connected device and charge up to maximum of 2.4A each. Two devices can also be charged simultaneously for a combined output of 4.8A which makes this a flexible performer - you can easily charge two retina iPads at the same time. One thing I did note during my testing was that regardless of what device you are charging or even if you are recharging the PowerCore, it remained cool at all times with no sign of heating up. This is a welcome surprise when it comes to portable devices and batteries.

For me, travelling with my usual compliment of gadgets makes a product like a power bank a sensible purchase. All my portable gadgets from phones, tablets, music player, ebook reader, keyboard and camera can be charged via USB and having the ability to do this when away from a fixed power source gives real peace of mind. The Anker PowerCore delivers a high power capacity and flexibility of dual charging in a portable and well priced package. If you are in a similar position then this comes highly recommended.

Video review:

Attachments

• Anker PowerCore 16000 - 1.jpg
    Anker PowerCore 16000 - 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 959
  • Anker PowerCore 16000 - 2.jpg
    Anker PowerCore 16000 - 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,621

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Donka - thanks for the excellent review - bought my wife a new more 'powerful' battery pack, and I just ordered the one below (30,000 mAh - about 3x the capacity of my older one and not much bigger) from the Mac-Forums website (about $59 w/ free S/H) - probably will not have to even recharge it on our short car trips? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 11.57.20 AM.png

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. That one you linked to looks a beast. Definitely handy as the internal batteries in devices get bigger and bigger.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you. That one you linked to looks a beast. Definitely handy as the internal batteries in devices get bigger and bigger.

YEP! :eek: Will be a little bulkier 'on the road' - dimensions compared below to my older Lumsing (shown in the attached pic) - 3 inches longer and only about a half inch in the other dimensions - weight just 3 more ounces - believe I'll be happy w/ getting 3X the mAh out of the newer pack (plus, more 2+ amp connections). Dave :)

ZeroLemon - 7.1 x 3.6 x 1.3 inches - 14 ounces

Lumsing - 3.8 x 3.0 x 1.1 inches - 11 ounces

lumsing-11000mah-5-port-usb-charger.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts