What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Analyst sees a 64-bit iPad 5 putting further pressure on PC sales

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
AppleTownHall-869.jpg

The iPhone 5s is the first smartphone in the world to come with a 64-bit architecture, which essentially means we will have faster speeds, better performance and advanced features. This has happened before with computers and game consoles. But what impact will a 64-bit architecture have on the king of the tablets, the iPad?

According to Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank Equity Research, a potential 64-bit iPad 5 is going to put tremendous pressure on already decreasing PC sales. In a note to investors, he said the following:

We...expect growing [desktop] virtualization and iPad deployments in the enterprise to pressure corporate PC sales through 2014-15...We expect AAPL's [Apple's] iPad refresh to include 64 bit architecture, which should enable a greater array of enterprise App development and facilitate greater enterprise penetration over time. In the near term, back to school PC demand appears relatively soft and recent new hardware releases (Haswell) had little impact spurring incremental demand. Furthermore, we believe the corporate upgrade cycle will peak in [second half of calendar year 2013] as corporates complete Win 7 transitions ahead of Microsoft's ending support of XP in early 2014.

The area where Whitmore sees the iPad gaining fast traction over PCs is in the enterprise market, where Apple’s tablet could get help from more advanced apps that would make the most of Apple’s A7 processor. If a 64-bit processor makes its way to the iPad 5, then there are chances we might see it in its smaller sibling, the iPad Mini. And that will increase the range of targeted consumers.

But I think we should take this with a grain of salt. Apple's transition to 64-bit with the iPhone 5s and a potential upgrade with the iPad 5 might be just about laying the groundwork for the future and it won’t have an immediate effect on the market. First of all, developers need a good amount of time to figure out and align their apps to make the most of the radically changed processor. And secondly, I think there’s yet not a definite need for such apps.

However, the market might prove me wrong, as we know that the iPad can be a very versatile and useful utensil for doctors, engineers, pilots that might find use in advanced apps that are perfectly tailored for their specific needs.

Source: Cnet

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see why this puts additional pressure on PCs though? There are still some tasks and or games that you simply must perform or play on a PC versus a tablet. The small screen, lack of a file system, lack of USB support and no keyboard/mouse still limit tablets when it comes to serious work. I love and use my iPad everyday but it's NOT able to replace my laptops. Just not happening but it's got nothing to do with chip architecture. I'm not seeing it.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see why this puts additional pressure on PCs though? There are still some tasks and or games that you simply must perform or play on a PC versus a tablet. The small screen, lack of a file system, lack of USB support and no keyboard/mouse still limit tablets when it comes to serious work. I love and use my iPad everyday but it's NOT able to replace my laptops. Just not happening but it's got nothing to do with chip architecture. I'm not seeing it.
I have to agree. Some time in the future that iPad may form the "Brian" of a PC-less workstation (connection via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi), where we have a reasonable size screen, keyboard and mouse like controller. Then the PC will be on the way uot as we will have true integrated mobility and power use all in one.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not really, I need my iPad as well as my computer. I do use the iPad much more though.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I spent 2 years saving and a lot of money building my PC , I've used it barely a handful of times since October LAST year ..!

Since I've bought my ipad (1st gen , then onto a 3rd gen ) I rarely ever use my PC except for itunes back ups .

I had to wait over 30 minutes before the PC turned off because of the number of updates it needed and it's not been used since I restored my new iphone from a back up . The pcs been off since !

I've sold off parts I don't need now , excess ram , surplus hdd's , monitors etc as for me it has no more practice use beyond back up services .

For me the PC & laptop is heading the way of the dinosaur as technology develops .

We don't know what the future holds , people are always deploying tech after tech that ebbs closer in ability to current PC specifications .

History tells us that technological advancement has been quick as we understand the elements around us which will yield to greater products capable of superior performance , evolving to a point rendering PC platforms obsolete .

We can't predict what technology will do for us , but from experience so far it can only get better.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just give me a mini 64 FB USB and file option to save to my network external drives. Google built-in Flash player plug-in = happy camper. One moe thing; a mobile version of Photoshop CC, Camera Raw, and Lightroom, $4.99 a month. Where do I sign up?

Most reactions

Latest posts