What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An App for taking lecture notes??

gyanmahatme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, hopefully I've posted this in the right place, your site seems to have an endless list of forums so I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me out.

The problem: I'm hopefully getting an iPad in the near future and it would be really useful to be able to take down lecture notes at university on it. I know there are LOADS of apps that can do that however, since I do a science, there are usually a quite a few diagrams and formulae. For this reason lecture handouts (paper forms) are usually provided in lectures. These (as well as lecture slides) are usually available online prior to the lecture in .docx .doc, .pdf, .ppt or .pptx formats.

So, essentially, I want to be able to download the slides/handouts onto my iPad prior to the lecture and then annotate them by writing/drawing on the iPad itself during the lecture...and then obviously save the file with the notes.

The app must:
-open word/powerpoint/pdf files (or have a copy and paste facility)
-be able to add written notes to these documents
-be able to add drawings/diagrams
-save the edited file
-import a picture from the ipad camera
If possible...
-since with Dropbox (or be able to get the files onto a computer)
-highlight text
-convert hand-written text to typed text
-index/organise the files

I know I made that quite long winded, but I wanted to be clear.

Is there an app that will do all this?

Thanks

PS I've looked up loads of note taking apps and so far I'm still unsure which actually do what I want!

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good reader will read all types of file and will allow you to annotate PDFs (not sure about .ppt files) but my advice is if you haven't got it, but it anyway, this app should come as standard it's that good.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gyanmahatme said:
The problem: I'm hopefully getting an iPad in the near future and it would be really useful to be able to take down lecture notes at university on it. I know there are LOADS of apps that can do that however, since I do a science, there are usually a quite a few diagrams and formulae. For this reason lecture handouts (paper forms) are usually provided in lectures. These (as well as lecture slides) are usually available online prior to the lecture in .docx .doc, .pdf, .ppt or .pptx formats.

So, essentially, I want to be able to download the slides/handouts onto my iPad prior to the lecture and then annotate them by writing/drawing on the iPad itself during the lecture...and then obviously save the file with the notes.

The app must:
-open word/powerpoint/pdf files (or have a copy and paste facility)
-be able to add written notes to these documents
-be able to add drawings/diagrams
-save the edited file
-import a picture from the ipad camera
If possible...
-since with Dropbox (or be able to get the files onto a computer)
-highlight text
-convert hand-written text to typed text
-index/organise the files

I know I made that quite long winded, but I wanted to be clear.

Is there an app that will do all this?

Thanks

PS I've looked up loads of note taking apps and so far I'm still unsure which actually do what I want!

I find it is good to read everything you can about an app, including reviews and if possible try a free version, if available. Road testing a bunch of apps will give you a better feel for what is the best to suit your needs.

OP
G

gyanmahatme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a LOT (thats means hours and hours) of searching, reading etc I THINK Note Taker HD will go all of the above.
Anyone got it, reviews?

Coughfee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well you may wanna try iDownload HD. This app can enable you to download all the slides and view them. It has it's own file manager and you can view the disk space you used too.

drnhlau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find Notes Plus useful, steep learning curve though. In app purchase for converting to text, also good for free hand diagram especially Trigonometry converting to perfect triangles and etc. do voice recording and capture web pages! Not sure re annotation, can go hand in hand with GoodReader or PDF expert.

Steven.C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
goodnotesapp.com
You may want to try GoodNotes, which lets you take handwritten notes, insert images, annotate on PDF files, add shapes, etc. There is a free version for you to try before buying.

Most reactions

Latest posts