What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

eviltuna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never understood this cover either, isn't it suppose to "protect" your iPad? I mean it doesn't look like this cover will protect much if you drop your iPad. I'm not too worried about dust and what not cause I'll always have a screen protector on mine but isn't it a bit excessive to pay $39 for what is essentially a magnetic screen protector? I mean if you drop this thing with the cover on I'm sure its going to fall off and not protect anything, seems like its not a very well thought out product. Unless its only meant to protect the ipad when you have it sitting on a table so stuff doesn't fall on it. Anyways, I'll be getting a Silicon case for mine cause I'm more worried about by butter fingers than stuff dropping on my iPad.

FrogVomit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I diddnt read the whole post, but aint it a bad idea to use magnets for the whole device?

I mean, as far as i know magnetic fields are like poison for any computer...

Magnets are bad for hard drives, because they store your data by magnetizing or demagnetizing bits on the disk. It's not a problem for phones or tablets.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scratches, etc

Seems way too risky if you want to resell the iPad later on with minimum to no scratches.

This is true--scratches on the back may not matter to someone who plans on keeping theirs, but with the expected leap from the iPad2 to the iPad3 (in terms of real advancement--retina display etc.) coming in another cycle, a lot of iPad2 owners are going to want to trade theirs in or sell them. I'm so torn between covers it's ridiculous. I know it's just a protector, but it affects the way you interact with the product in a very fundamental way. On the bright side, i have at least till april to decide--i wasn't able to get my iPad yet :([/QUOTE]

It isn't that I like scratches any better than others ... there are adhesive skins that some are putting on the rear to aid against the minor digs and dings.

Your reference to iPAD3 expecting retina is just so much dreaming ... it isn't going to happen, it doesn't need to. Refer to anandtech.com and read over the review of the GPU. Higher resolution means poorer performance.

Now better cameras ... you have can expect improvement on the next model.

Last edited:

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already ordered the full Bodyguardz Skin and the Slip Case from Waterfield Design. I also ordered the Zagg Keyboard Case but it won't be released until March 31st.

So, if I need my iPad for work, I will be using the Zagg Keyboard Case as I know I will be doing a lot of typing. But if I'm just going to use it to surf the net with some e-mailing or if I'm just travelling leisurely then I will use my iPad Smart Cover with the Slip Case from Waterfield Designs.

I'm gearing towards the Pink color now. I ordered Black for my Slip Case.

I don't really want the full coverage for my iPad 2. It's too pretty to cover it up. Thanks everyone. :)

slipcase_ipad_lg.jpg

Screenshot2011-03-16at60134AM.png

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our local WalMart had vinyl smart cover mixed up with the leather ones and I was able to get the brown leather one g
For $39.00, I'm return the black leather one purchased at BB for $69.99 tomorrow. At first I didn't like the smart cover buy now it' growing on me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Spaarty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I think the 'Smart Covers' are fine for protection at home. They do what they were designed to do for the most part (except for the claim they actually help clean the glass, as I have not found that to be the case). If you travel a lot or bring your iPad to work everyday, you are most likely going to have to get something that wraps around and protects the entire device.

I'm fine with the Smart Cover, it does what I need it do to. Plus, how many covers can do this ?? .......:D (Whaaat ?!?!?!)

SmartCover doubles as a iPad fridge magnet | 9 to 5 Mac SmartCover doubles as a iPad fridge magnet | Apple Intelligence

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The guy in the Apple store recommended Marware Eco-Vue Case. He said it was great! I just ordered mines online and used a 10% off promo code. It also came with free shipping.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

Put a skin on to protect the back.

I have no comment on the color choice whine though.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score

cheers

will a skin prevent a smartcover from latching? how will i know if they are compatible?

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score

cheers

will a skin prevent a smartcover from latching? how will i know if they are compatible?

Bodyguardz Skin is compatible with the Smart Covers.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. Due to my limited budget however, i'm going to limit myself to one case/cover. I really can't afford to pay for two covers for one device--and since the screen is ultimately more important than the back of the back of the back--i'll get an apple smartcover

Vocali05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No... Its just a piece of plastic with a few magnets... Cant wait to blow my $40 on somthin hardly worth $5

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts