What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
I had the Marware case on my iPad 1 and it was fantastic. The microshell just covers the back, reinforces the corners, and was designed to work with the Smart Cover. Perfect for keeping the best of both worlds, plus it will look great with my black Smart cover.

The site doesn't say when it will ship. I hesitated before ordering and emailed to find out. Seems like if it was anytime soon they would have it noted there.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do we cover up our diamonds?

Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I tried this a.m. to find this post. I did not want to create a new thread. This needs to be a Sticky

Smart covers ... protection and convenience​

iPad2 is a break-thru product ... being thinner and a bit lighter ... makes holding it in one hand while reading much easier ... less tiring.

This is a key feature.

This has to be experienced, not just imagining and thinking what else is needed.

But iPAD in its original wrap around case is clumsy to hold in comparison to iPAD2 with nothing added for protection.

Do we really need extra protection while using it? ... I suggest not.

When adding full-wrap protection cases we lose something... sometimes a lot. Even protector Invisible Screens, may impact display detailing.

Naturally we don't want scratches, abrasion spots, etc. Apple uses Gorilla optical grade glass over the screen ... it is really tough to scratch ... the nice wrap around aluminum case is also tough ... yes aluminum is softer and depending on how we handle it ... stays that way... my skin certainly won't scratch it.

The covers, cases, non-scratch films are sold because of human error. They do get dropped (didn't mean to), Whoops, scratched it ... (don't like that) ... so we wrap it up.

Because we get in a hurry, just leave it in its case, and I'll just use it that way, because I can't screw it up if I do something stupid. But we just lost thinness, added some weight ... now it is more clumsy to handle.

What to do? To each their own. I for one use our new iPAD2 as is, right out of the box. No invisi-shields, No wrap around cases, etc.

I think the Apple's magnetic cover is slick. EZ to remove to use it ... Snaps nicely into place when not using it ... Nice triangular stand ... great design. My bride got Blue. Sobeit.

For travel, I have a neat bag. That's it folks. Just my concept. Try it ... you might find Apple made a fabulous product just the way it is.:)

Enjoy your latest and greatest purchase.

Last edited:

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
I tried this a.m. to find this post. I did not want to create a new thread. This needs to be a Sticky

Smart covers ... protection and convenience

iPad2 is a break-thru product ... being thinner and a bit lighter ... makes holding it in one hand while reading much easier ... less tiring.

This is a key feature.

This has to be experienced, not just imagining and thinking what else is needed.

But iPAD in its original wrap around case is clumsy to hold in comparison to iPAD2 with nothing added for protection.

When adding full-wrap protection cases we lose something... sometimes a lot. Even protector Invisible Screens, may impact display detailing.

Naturally we don't want scratches, abrasion spots, etc. Apple uses Gorilla optical grade glass over the screen ... it is really tough to scratch ... the nice wrap around aluminum case is also tough ... yes aluminum is softer and depending on how we handle it ... stays that way... my skin certainly won't scratch it.

The covers, cases, non-scratch films are sold because of human error. They do get dropped (didn't mean to), Whoops, scratched it ... (don't like that) ... so we wrap it up.

Because we get in a hurry, just leave it in its case, and I'll just use it that way, because I can't screw it up if I do something stupid. But we just lost thinness, added some weight ... now it is more clumsy to handle.

What to do? To each their own. I for one use our new iPAD2 as is, right out of the box. No invisi-shields, No wrap around cases, etc.

I think the Apple's magnetic cover is slick. EZ to remove to use it ... Snaps nicely into place when not using it ... Nice triangular stand ... great design. My bride got Blue. Sobeit.

For travel, I have a neat bag. That's it folks. Just my concept. Try it ... you might find Apple made a fabulous product just the way it is.:)

You sir are a rockstar! Every post after yours should only be in support of what you have said. Apple built smart covers to maintain the elegance and detail of the iPad. If you want something ugly go get an android tablet and wrap that up.

poker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the new case and returned it. I stuck with a Griffin Elan Folio Slim. I'm happy with it. My wife can throw it in her purse without worry.

Laughing Man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

Smart covers ... protection and convenience​

This is a key feature.

Seems way too risky if you want to resell the iPad later on with minimum to no scratches.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems way too risky if you want to resell the iPad later on with minimum to no scratches.[/QUOTE]

This is true--scratches on the back may not matter to someone who plans on keeping theirs, but with the expected leap from the iPad2 to the iPad3 (in terms of real advancement--retina display etc.) coming in another cycle, a lot of iPad2 owners are going to want to trade theirs in or sell them. I'm so torn between covers it's ridiculous. I know it's just a protector, but it affects the way you interact with the product in a very fundamental way. On the bright side, i have at least till april to decide--i wasn't able to get my iPad yet :(

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that I have an iPad to try it with I am very happy with the smart cover. Thin, light and works as advertised. I use the aforementioned netbook sleeve when putting it in my briefcase etc.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:

cheers

I'm not a fan either. I'm still waiting for the "perfect" cover to come out. I will try to be patient.

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
dmaul1114 said:
Well the magnets may not be strong enough to work through it if it's a skin that covers the back or side (but that's probably not an issue) or the skin could stick out and make the magnet edge of the case not snap flat on the side of the iPad 2 (though I'd think you could trim the skin back around the attachments if needed).

Good idea

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kayno said:
So far my die is yet to rub off.. However leather will fade shoes, belts, jackets, bags, they all do so why should the smart cover be any different?

When I refer to the smart cover leather dye rubbing off, I'm specifically referring to Apple's disclaimer: "The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use." I have not said anything about leather dyes fading over time (which they do.) I have been using leather accessories for years, and I have never had any manufactured leather item rub off its dye, whether wet or dry or in contact with linen/cloth or whatever.

As part of the leather manufacturing process, when they dye a piece of untreated leather, it is also 'baked' to seal in the colours so that the dye will set properly. (Technically there are also leather pigments which are colour-fast and do not need to be baked, but that's not relevant to the discussion here.) The cutting, stitching and sewing of the final product - bag, wallet, folio, cover, etc - occurs -after- the dye has been baked-fast, so that you will never get problems with discoloration. The vast majority of leather products out there do NOT have such disclaimers, because it is not an issue.

Now, Apple's disclaimer may just be a "cover our ass" statement so that if a user's smart cover stains another item, Apple can't be blamed for it. However, if there is a dye issue with the smart cover, especially if they were rushing it to market and had to cut corners on quality, then I will call out the product's lack of workmanship, at that price and given the high quality of genuine leather goods these days.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I diddnt read the whole post, but aint it a bad idea to use magnets for the whole device?

I mean, as far as i know magnetic fields are like poison for any computer...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
more than likely. this subject is a variable. you cant put a precise or even rough figure on it, other than the fact it's possible.

If the smartcover does have non-fast dye, then I would call out Apple on the shoddiness of this leather product - because a properly dyed (and baked) aniline leather product does not stain or "rub off". This isn't denim we're talking about - and at this price, consumers have a right to expect better from Apple.

I have been using leather accessories for years, including messenger bags, jackets, folios, journal covers and valets, in a variety of styles including aniline, semi-aniline, full-grain and suede - and not a single one has ever had an issue with the dye or pigment "rubbing off." The colours will gradually change over time (as the dye reacts to sunlight and other oils in the leather) - but the dye itself should remain colour-fast.

PhotoJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife got a Dodo Case for her iPad and I am getting a Piel Frama in tan ostrich. She likes her case.

Most reactions

Latest posts