What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gadgets are disposable almost by definition....
Doubt if a few scratches to the case will mar my enjoyment of it over the several years of it's usage.
Indeed marks are almost a sign of awesomeness, as witness guitar cases with labels, tape and dents.

Decisions on whether to buy a case will depend on what it feels like in the hand. It was definitely necessary with the iPad1 as the shaped back made it easy to drop when carrying one handed. I have large hands and carry between thumb and fingers. Will the new cover slip easily and allow it to slide out of my grasp?
One reviewer cited how his cover slipped in his bag and turned the iPad on. Not that it's that important when you have such a long battery life.

I await my fellow forum members observations with interest.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chriztofor said:
Wow, a cover should not even be in the decision making process. To each their own...

No kidding. I think it's ridiculous. But hey, that leaves another iPad 2 for the rest of us!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smartcover for the front, with a Zagg screen protector and a marware microshell rear cover (works with the smartcover).

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, a cover should not even be in the decision making process. To each their own...

Agreed.

Maybe a reason to not buy at launch while waiting for more third party cover options to be available.

But silly reason to not buy at all when their will be a shit ton of cover options in a couple of weeks.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That Smart Cover is Okay. It doesnt protect the Ipad 2 from accidental drops. So for $39.99 there would be much better options.

josun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
josun said:
I'm surprised that no one in the Internet mention about the metal part of the cover scratching the iPad's left side with frequent on and offs. That clicking sound from attaching the pair together, to me, sounds like a metal rubbing sound. Am I the only one who's concerned about this???

If the back, or rather side of iPad 2 is of the same material as iPad 1, then it will be almost impossible to scratch it with a non sharp
edge. The cover has rounded edges!

They (cases) do have sharp edges in case you haven't noticed. And, never forget the fact that contact is made metal to metal. If there was a slightest rubbing between the two, say the cover was pushed by something while attached, the iPad will unquestionably get scratched.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for almost a year and I've never used a case at all, and it's like new. I put it in a bag if I'm taking it anywhere. However, I do like the Smart Covers, just ordered a blue one along with my iPad 2!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for almost a year and I've never used a case at all, and it's like new. I put it in a bag if I'm taking it anywhere.

Conversely, there's a guy on my bus to the office everyday who also has an iPad, and he uses his naked - and there's a dent about yea-big on the back of it. Each time I see it, I kind of feel sorry (but only a little) for his device.

Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Conversely, there's a guy on my bus to the office everyday who also has an iPad, and he uses his naked - and there's a dent about yea-big on the back of it. Each time I see it, I kind of feel sorry (but only a little) for his device.

You should inform PETA of this clearly abusive behavior towards the poor and helpless iPad.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
interesting....I may just forgo the Apple Smart Cover and get what looks to be a REALLY cool device, very similar, made by MacAlly called the "Bookstand" (with suffix sub-model indicators, which generally denote color).

Here: http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=387

Yeah, just like the Apple Smart Case EXCEPT IT ALSO COVERS THE BACK OF THE IPAD! And $29.99 as well. This may be just the ticket. I already have a decent slipcase (actually Netbook case that has an outer neoprene pouch for misc/accessories) that fits my current ipad in its MacAlly Flexitpad clear protective case with lots of room to spare. Winning combo!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should inform PETA of this clearly abusive behavior towards the poor and helpless iPad.

I don't think it was intentional or even negligence. I guess my point was that a user can decide that he or she prefers to use their device naked and take perfect care of it for months or even years, but all it takes is one accidental moment where it slips and falls - and damage happens.

Just a few days ago my iPod fell out of my bag, which never happened before - but the SwitchEasy case took the brunt of it. The case now has a bunch of abrasion marks something fierce, but the device is pristine.

Last edited:

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I have the $39 one. The only thing I don't like about is when you fold the cover around to the back it does not stay stuck to the back well. My Apple case for the iPad 1 had no magnets but this was not an issue with that.

Even if this is not a problem for anyone do you have same same experience with it? I am hoping it is a defect and I can swap it out for one that doesn't do this.

Teerexx52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

I have a red leather and am trying to decide about keeping it. It certainly is stylish but not sure how practical it is. The back in unprotected so I will add a Best Skins ever to it and then a screen protector at some point. Then I'll drop it in my sleeve I have for it. The ipad 2 does fit into my sleeve with the smart cover on it. I have two weeks to return it so we'll see.

Most reactions

Latest posts