What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All About Music And Recording

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it true that the 3.5 mm jack on an iPad is both an input and output port?
Short answer is yes. If you plug in headphones with a built-in microphone, the iPad will sense it and use it as your sound input for apps that do audio recording. The iRig mic plugs into the jack by itself.

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
richsadams said:
Short answer is yes. If you plug in headphones with a built-in microphone, the iPad will sense it and use it as your sound input for apps that do audio recording. The iRig mic plugs into the jack by itself.

but the quality of sound is somewhy limited. You get way better sound with camera connection kit and usb mic or audio interface. Plus can get stereo input via it. The headphones input is noisy and wiht bad headroom. You need a good preamp with this.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but the quality of sound is somewhy limited. You get way better sound with camera connection kit and usb mic or audio interface. Plus can get stereo input via it. The headphones input is noisy and wiht bad headroom. You need a good preamp with this.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF
Agreed. That would be the long(er) answer. :)

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting stuff! Let us know how you get on.

I've decided to go the new mic route because by the time I've bought all the bits and pieces I need to get my AKG mic to work, it will be nearly as expensive as a new mic anyway. So, I'm thinking about getting the Yeti (not the Pro version, can't afford that).

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds like a good choice! Once you've gotten comfortable with it, a review would be most welcome. TIA!

I'll be ordering it from the Apple (NZ) store this week, not sure how long it'll take to arrive but I'll be happy to report back once I've tried it.

Cheers, Pat.

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, to record on GarageBand I should go through my camera adapter. How would I get my sure 58 to plug into my camera adapter and once in does the iPad just know there is a mike ready to go?

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ejbpesca said:
So, to record on GarageBand I should go through my camera adapter. How would I get my sure 58 to plug into my camera adapter and once in does the iPad just know there is a mike ready to go?

An SM58 would need an XLR to USB converter like the Blue Icicle or if you want a cheaper option something like a XLR-USB cable from Behringer or Lindy (all available on Amazon.co.uk, just search for them).
A general caveat, these 'should' all work but I've not tested them personally. However, I have used other USB mics and similar converters very successfully.

bossy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just about to buy the Alesis IO dock. Fingers crossed it works well!

iPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to post in this very positive forum, but I seek advice and don't want to criticize . I have installed some 700 favourite tunes on my iPad2 but when I try to play the consecutively<br>
or random only one tune plays and the&nbsp; no other tunes play.<br>
Can some bright spark please tell me how to solve?

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
or random only one tune plays and the&nbsp; no other tunes play.<br>
Can some bright spark please tell me how to solve?

this and look for another one that is circular, keep tapping until it is off of repeat 1.

ipad66.jpg

images

Last edited:

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Casio WK 3300 keyboard

I saw a video a while back that had a Casio salesman in a music shop in Australia demonstrating how to connect Casio keyboards to ipad 2 and play the GarageBand instruments. According to the guy any Casio keyboard should work.

I've got a Casio WK 3300 keyboard and tried to get it to work but it doesn't. The message box says it isn't recognised (not those exact words, but I can't remember exctly what they were). That was a couple of weeks ago. Today I tried it again with a powered USB hub but it still doesn't work. I coonected it this way:
I plugged the keyboard into the hub, the hub into the camera connection kit, the cam kit into the ipad. On the keyboard I turned the Local On/Off to Off. From the way the guy in the video talked it sounded like it should work with any Casio keyboard, but I wonder if mine is too old a model, I've had it since 2008.

It'd be great if I could get it to work!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pat100 said:
I saw a video a while back that had a Casio salesman in a music shop in Australia demonstrating how to connect Casio keyboards to ipad 2 and play the GarageBand instruments. According to the guy any Casio keyboard should work.

I've got a Casio WK 3300 keyboard and tried to get it to work but it doesn't. The message box says it isn't recognised (not those exact words, but I can't remember exctly what they were). That was a couple of weeks ago. Today I tried it again with a powered USB hub but it still doesn't work. I coonected it this way:
I plugged the keyboard into the hub, the hub into the camera connection kit, the cam kit into the ipad. On the keyboard I turned the Local On/Off to Off. From the way the guy in the video talked it sounded like it should work with any Casio keyboard, but I wonder if mine is too old a model, I've had it since 2008.

It'd be great if I could get it to work!

I'm no geek in this area, and have trouble playing air guitar - i'm always flat!

but I know from my musically overly gifted son 'midi' is/was one of the common communications protocols between digital devices, but there are others which I think have come to the fore in recent years.

Suggest look on both web sites to see what they do (or can) use.

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm no geek in this area, and have trouble playing air guitar - i'm always flat!

but I know from my musically overly gifted son 'midi' is/was one of the common communications protocols between digital devices, but there are others which I think have come to the fore in recent years.

Suggest look on both web sites to see what they do (or can) use.
Hi,

I did that but there's nothing specific regarding my keyboard. I send an email enquiry to the australian shop too but have had no reply so far. My keyboard doesn't have a dedicated MIDI connection, it's supposed to be through the USB connector so I think it's probably to do with that.
Cheers.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, in theory any USB keyboard should work via the camera connection kit, without knowing more about your setup it's hard to know what the problem is - potentially have to change settings on the keyboard to make it output it's midi data?

For those people who have controllers which are true midi, not USB, there's the IK Multimedia iRig MIDI that's just launched - same guys who produce the iRig for guitars, this is a midi adapter that let's you control synth apps etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts