What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay Video and Sound

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is one aspect of iOS that I don't understand or agree with and which seems to be inconsistent between video and sound.

AirPlay only outputs video from apps that specifically provide for "video streaming". What you see on the external screen is only the video stream, not everything that is on the iPad screen.

There is no inbuilt way, in iOS, to output whatever is on the iPad screen to an external monitor as you would find on any other OS. In iOS this is called "video mirroring" and is only available on the iPad 2 after purchasing the AV HDMI adaptor.

When it comes to sound, the situation is different. If you set the iPod app to send sound to AirPlay, all sound, including tap (i.e. OS) sounds etc, are output to the external device even after you exit the iPod app. I find this quite inconsistent and actually annoying.

What I would really like to see "video mirroring" via AirPlay to ATV on all iPad models.

BTW the latest ATV 2 firmware upgrade fixes a small bug. While it was possible to direct sound from the iPod app via the optical (Toslink) output without requiring your TV to be turned on, the TV had to be turned on to initiate this feature. This now seems to have been fixed.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The main problem with AirPlay is that it is not as responsive as the VGA/HDMI output. There is a small buffer time for the other device (Apple TV) to display the stream. So I would imagine that mirroring would be lagging compare to the input your are providing.

Just a quick test do demonstrate, output sound via AirPlay with the iPod. While streaming, open another app that will generate sound like a piano or a drum machine. Buoy will hear the notes, but with a delay of 1-2 seconds...

VicoPad addict!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buoy will hear the notes, but with a delay of 1-2 seconds...VicoPad addict!

I had noticed the delay on starting AirPlay but hadn't realised the there was continued delay after that. I assumed that it just skipped the first few seconds.

I doubt That the delay would bother me and the convenience of wireless "video mirroring" would be appreciated. It would be a problem on the types of app that you mention though.

I use the VGA adaptor where possible (Atomic Browser for example) but it does mean having a 10 metre VGA cable running around the room. It's mostly hidden by furniture fortunately.

I still think it's quite inconsistent that you only see streamed vidoe but get all sound from AirPlay.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts