What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air1 owner looking to go Pro....

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Folks - My Trusty Air1 is getting to where Im ready to pass it down to another family member and upgrade. There are some very good deals right now on the 9.7 Pros at Best Buy. I realize its technically last years model but Im assuming it will still be an appreciable upgrade over my Air1. I can get an unlocked 9.7 Pro cellular model for under $500 bucks which seems like a good buy.

I understand that the 10.5 has some upgrades and better guts but its a lot more expensive and I doubt it will go down in price for a while. Has anyone here gone from an Air1 to a Pro 9.7? If so, did it impress you or is it a trivial upgrade for most tasks. Im a standard user - nothing too graphically intense but I do some gaming and a little productivity. I dont need the pencil at all.

Thanks for feedback. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Folks - My Trusty Air1 is getting to where Im ready to pass it down to another family member and upgrade. There are some very good deals right now on the 9.7 Pros at Best Buy. I realize its technically last years model but Im assuming it will still be an appreciable upgrade over my Air1. I can get an unlocked 9.7 Pro cellular model for under $500 bucks which seems like a good buy.

I understand that the 10.5 has some upgrades and better guts but its a lot more expensive and I doubt it will go down in price for a while. Has anyone here gone from an Air1 to a Pro 9.7? If so, did it impress you or is it a trivial upgrade for most tasks. Im a standard user - nothing too graphically intense but I do some gaming and a little productivity....

Hello - saw your post a few days ago w/o a response - I'm in the same situation, i.e. have a 3 y/o iPad Air 2 that I want to replace this holiday season, some discussion in this THREAD - take a look as to my considerations. As you indicated, Apple is just offering the 10.5 & 12.9 display models (first pic below) - the first generation Pro 9.7 is of interest to me also - just not sure if the best option is to buy from a secondary source, such as Best Buy (e.g. what is the warranty) or to possibly consider a 'refurb' from Apple (see second pic) - the Wi-Fi only 128 GB iPad Pro is available there for $529 w/ a 1-year warranty (add AppleCare for another $99) - need to do some more thinking, I guess - SO, just another thought. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 6.12.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 6.35.13 PM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To All - I'm getting really 'itchy' as to my iPad upgrade from the Air 2 - I've discussed options in my link given and also in this thread w/ the addition of an Apple refurb - the 1st generation iPad Pro w/ 128 GB storage (released in 2016) fits my needs - and can add AppleCare for 2 years of coverage - so, opinions on buying Apple's refurb vs. the same devices from others such as Best Buy - I'm leaning toward the current 10.5" 'new' Pro w/ 64 GB (Wi-Fi only), but just wish a version w/ twice the storage was an option - so my quandary - now, I'm sure others in the same position are wondering also about their choices - comments appreciated. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage in buying a refurbished product from Apple is that it comes with the full factory warranty as when it was new and is eligible for AppleCare+. You'll also save some money versus the new price. If a store like Best Buy is still selling the same product, it will be a new item sold at the new price, unless it's on sale. In appearance, you won't be able to tell it isn't brand new as the case is replaced as well as the screen if it shows any scratches or minor damage. You also get a new battery in a refurbished unit, even if the device was only a few months old when refurbished.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The biggest advantage in buying a refurbished product from Apple is that it comes with the full factory warranty as when it was new and is eligible for AppleCare+. You'll also save some money versus the new price. If a store like Best Buy is still selling the same product, it will be a new item sold at the new price, unless it's on sale. In appearance, you won't be able to tell it isn't brand ne as the case is replaced as well as the screen if it shows any scratches or minor damage. You also get a new battery in a refurbished unit, even if the device was only a few months old when refurbished.

Thanks SciFan.. for the description above - I'm quite use to the 9.7" retina display of my Air 2, so not a problem avoiding the slightly larger 10.5" screen - also, would really like to have 128 GB storage - cannot justify going to 256 GB. Some more contemplation ahead - :confused: Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, stores like Best Buy do sell their older demo models and returned items at a discount but these have not been refurbished by Apple and would not have a full warranty.

Most reactions

Latest posts