What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Play

Duffysdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello — this is a great resource. I have a question that the Apple people haven't been able to explain. I use AirPlay a lot to play iTunes music through my stereo. I'd like to play it from my iPad, but the music doesn't sound as strong or powerful as when I play it from my MacBook. Does the iPad not have as strong an internal "transmitter" of some kind? It's the same music playing through the same stereo on the same Wi-fi network. Does anyone know the answer or have a similar experience? Thanks!

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't used AirPlay yet, so this may be off the mark. On the iPad, in Settings > iPod, there are sound control features. Soundcheck can affect overall loudness, as it's use to level the volume of songs gathered from different sources etc. There's EQ, an "equalizer", and a max volume control. You could play with those to see if there's any improvement.

OP
D

Duffysdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion, but i've tried that already. Same music, same settings, same Wi-fi network, but the sound output is definitely different between an iPad and a MacBook.

johnipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey so this airplay im guessing from the name means you can stream any multimedia from your ipad2 to your tv correct? (new to apple just bought the ipad2) this airplay is only if you get the appletv box correct?

TraumaBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too use AirPlay to play my music on my stereo. I prefer to use the iPad like a little DJ pad. I experimented to see if I experienced the same problem you mentioned. Disclaimer, I am not an audiophile so findings are opinion only. I selected a song well known to me so as to pick up any slight nuances in sound. Placed the volume out to max on both devices played the track from the same spot then turned the volume on the AV receiver down until I couldn't hear the music anymore and noted the -(negative) volume reading displayed on the receiver for both iPad and MBP. Result the iPad became silent at a lower scale than the MBP, but only slightly (iPad -45 MBP -50) note I play music at normal volume at - 20 and disrupt the neighbors at + 10. (sony receiver DA5200ES) i did not note and degradation in music, bass and treble seems fine. I normally place the iPad volume on 30% and use the receiver volume control to adjust listening volume, so the fact that iPad seemingly outputs less volume than MBP is negligible to me. Hope this helps.

jargento

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it took me too long to figure out how to add to this thread. While the economist magazine audio app does not seem to have an airplay icon, it does appear on both of my iphones. my airport express and network are clearly working fine. does anyone know why the icon does not appear on ipad? note that on the iphone it appears next to the volume slider. there is no such volume slider on the acreen in this app fpr ipad. volume is controlled via the side button.

Most reactions

Latest posts