What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Combat App

JohnDG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for modern air combat app: (F-15, F-18) with HUD, 3D flying, long and short range weapons, missions, etc. An (old) example is Sid Meier's "F-15 Strike Eagle."

Hunting around the app store, either the games are written for the iPhone, or there are very few good ratings.

jdg

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, I can't believe developers aren't taking advantage of the iPads larger screen. I'm looking for the same thing!

OP
J

JohnDG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, I can't believe developers aren't taking advantage of the iPads larger screen. I'm looking for the same thing!

I bit the bullet and downloaded Mini-Jetfight, which is a universal iOS app that was ported over from a WindowsMobile version:

* Graphics are OK;
* Plays well so far (I quickly changed to landscape to get the pitch and yaw controls to the side, which requires an app reboot. That is: you need to go into the multi-task bar and delete the running app from memory). This takes advantage of the size of the iPad screen;
* I also quickly realized that I do not know how to fly a plane, being to used to joystick games: here you need to work the flaps and rudder.

I ran into a couple of minor bugs:
* When enemy planes are firing cannons, after awhile the cannon firing sound goes into a loop. The "Enemy Firing Cannons" message does stop and start correctly as required.
* HUD display disappears mid-flight. I have to toggle the (V)iew off/on to get it to reappear.

I would also like to see an "objective," such as a bombing run, etc., other than winning the dogfight against the multiple opponents (not yet, even on "rookie" mode - need more practice controlling the plane.)

All in all, OK at this point given the alternatives.

jdg

Most reactions

Latest posts