What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 4.2.1 - issues with MUTE or not

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after the update I went to try the new MUTE option.

started up some Flo Rida.....flippped the switch and nothing happened.

the toggle worked to Mute as it did before but the switch did nothing but show a slashed out sound icon

anyone else?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had that since the 4.2.1 GM came out...im sure it will be resolved in a day or so with a 4.2.2 update ;)

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically they just disabled the ability to lock rotation. Thanks Apple.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm ok with it..... I see why they decided to make all the devices the same.

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its a shitty mute button. basically mutes games, but not music or radio apps.

what a waste and possibly the worst upgrade feature on any device/gadget in history. its a nothing mute button

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thought it was aimed at push notifications. Would hate to have video interrupted by off stage noises...

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The switch on the side was always intended to be a mute switch - it seems the use of it as an orientation switch in IOS 3.x was due to the software orientation switch not being ready until IOS 4.x from what I can tell.
The Mute switch only mutes systems sounds like notifications etc. It doesn't mute music, videos etc. although I would love it to be a 'mute all' switch so if I fire up the iPad with some late night reading, I can flip this switch and be safe in the knowledge that some app won't fire out audio and wake Mrs Donka! Please Apple, change this to a mute all.

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Virgin!

Strange! Mutes games, but not radio app, mutes CNN but not Sky News or iPlayer.
As an Apple virgin, I imagine they will in due course sort this out, but how would they do that? Would that be another download or is that a really stupid question?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh probably, but don't sweat it.:)

There's probably a very good reason for it but we haven't been told yet.

HiNet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After calling tech support, I feel like a goose... All my problems were self imposed... Screen orientation (lock) & mute function is really neat!

HiNet

Most reactions

Latest posts