What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice re spam email

keithrob76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stupidly clicked on a link in what I quickly realised was a spam email.
What I am concerned about is whether any sort of virus might have been left on my ipad and if so what I should do.

I called into an Apple store and was told that as I did not divulge my Apple ID the built in protection would prevent any sort of virus being left.

Whilst this gave me some reassurance I am still reluctant to re-install banking details etc just in case I have a virus.

I believe I could use Reset to either "reset all settings" or to "Erase all contents & settings" and wonder whether that is the way forward.
Would using reset clear everything like a reformat?

I realise I would have to start again with factory settings and set everything up.
Everything is backed up on ICloud but if I have a virus would that not be re-installed as well if I back up from ICloud?

Any advice very gratefully received.

keithrob76

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple is almost certainly right. There are no viruses or malware in the wild for the Pad that can be installed without visiting and agreeing to something on a website. Of courese, there is a small, very small, chance that there is something new wandering about that no one has caught yet.

Keep in mind that the media and computer security companies would spread news of new iOS malware all over the headlines. Even the smallest, least likely, problems have been headline tech news in the past.

However, if you can’t have peace of mind without clearing and re-installing, do what you need to do. Whether your iCloud backup will include any installed malware would depend on when the last backup was. Check the date. If it was before the incident, then you can use it without worry.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I stupidly clicked on a link in what I quickly realised was a spam email. What I am concerned about is whether any sort of virus might have been left on my ipad and if so what I should do.

I called into an Apple store and was told that as I did not divulge my Apple ID the built in protection would prevent any sort of virus being left. Whilst this gave me some reassurance I am still reluctant to re-install banking details etc just in case I have a virus...............

Hello Keithrob.. - welcome to the forum! :) First, tells us which iPad model you own and also the iOS installed. Second, is your device 'jailbroken' (which would make it more susceptible to malware)? And third, better explain exactly what happen - my assumption is that you were using a web browser, such as Safari - clicked on a link which did 'something'? Were you simply re-directed inside the browser or was an email actually sent to your mail app?

Viruses and worms infecting a 'stock' iDevice are almost unheard of 'in the wild' - more information HERE, so very unlikely that you have a 'virus' - check out this LINK for more advice. At the moment, best to wait for your response regarding my questions above - you likely have browser malware that is easily handled and described in the second link, so take a look. Good luck - Dave

OP
K

keithrob76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Giradman

My IPad is model no 511/B/A and IOS 10.3.3 (14G60).
No it is not "jailbroken"

I received an email in my mail app which I initially thought had come from my broadband/TV provider saying I was going to be disconnected.

Stupidly I clicked on the link the email contained and answered some questions before realising it was a scam.

I am reluctant to re-install some apps whilst I have this niggling concern whether my action might have resulted in a virus getting in, as I believe has happened in similar circumstances with other email programmes in windows.

Thanks for your info so far, and also thanks to twerppoet for your post

Keithrob

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Change all passwords associated with your internet service. If you gave any banking info, contact your bank immediately and change any passwords.
iOS is well sandboxes and there's not much chance that any threat can get out of your email to the rest of the iPad. Also, change any email passwords. If you were using the stock mail app, delete the account and reinstall it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Giradman

My IPad is model no 511/B/A and IOS 10.3.3 (14G60). No it is not "jailbroken"

I received an email in my mail app which I initially thought had come from my broadband/TV provider saying I was going to be disconnected. Stupidly I clicked on the link the email contained and answered some questions before realising it was a scam.

I am reluctant to re-install some apps whilst I have this niggling concern whether my action might have resulted in a virus getting in, as I believe has happened in similar circumstances with other email programmes in windows.

Hi again - thanks for the information above - I plugged your iPad model into the 'lookup tab' on the EveryMac Website and got no returns (see pic below) - look in Settings -> General -> About to double check (the serial number can also be used). Concerning your iOS version - current is 11.4.1 - if you have an iPad 4thG or earlier, you are stuck on 10.3.3 - if an Air or newer, then you can go to 11.4.x which offers improved security, and other updated features.

As already stated by the other responders, iOS 'sandboxes' its apps, i.e. if an issue arises, then it stays inside the app - to re-emphasize, you have not 'caught' a virus and if so would be retained w/i the mail app. Scifan.. has given your advice on changing passwords etc. Since iOS 10.x, the ability to delete 'stock' apps has been added, SO if you're willing to setup your mail accounts again w/ new passwords, you could delete and reload the mail app (see more HERE) - let us know your results and good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 3.15.14 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The type of email you describe is mostly looking to trick you into giving up personal information and passwords. It’s called phishing. It would not be able to install malware unless you specificly gave it permission through a dialog on the iPad (not the website).

Scifan’s advice is the best, epecially changing the password on the site that the email tried to spoof. It’s also a good idea to report the email to them. They are probably aware of the phishing emails, and can offer advice on how to deal with it. Reseting your iPad will do nothing to help if you’ve accidently given away important passwords.

If you re-use passwords (a bad practice), make sure you change the passwords on all sites that you’ve used the same password.

OP
K

keithrob76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice.

I have changed all passwords I had not already done. I have also deleted and re-installed the mail app and changed all email passwords.

A valuable lesson learned for the future.

Most reactions

Latest posts