What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Launches Flash Media Server and Flash Access for iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
adobe-logo.jpg

Adobe has today announced at the IBC trade show in Amsterdam that it is launching Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5 and Adobe Flash Access 3.0, according to Boy Genius Report, neither of which need Apple’s approval in order for it to work. Apple famously does not allow Flash on any of its devices, of course, meaning that iPhone and iPad users still occasionally come across videos when surfing the web that they can’t watch, which can be a little frustrating. Flash Media Server 4.5 means that website publishers can now deliver content using a single stream that is suitable both for devices that are able to show Flash, such as Android tablets, for example, and also for iOS, non-Flash devices. Publishers who fork over $4,500 for Adobe Flash Media Server, which is available now, will then be able to stream Flash content to iOS devices, meaning that iOS Safari browser support for Flash (which is never going to happen!) is not necessary.

“Adobe has a deep heritage in providing video solutions for delivering content online and on-device. With Flash Media Server 4.5 and Flash Access 3.0, we’re enabling businesses to reach more customers and more devices, helping them increase the impact of video experiences, enhance their brands and ultimately, drive business success,†said Pritham Shetty, vice president, Video Solutions, Adobe.
So hopefully this means that we’ll be seeing less of those annoying messages telling us we need to download Flash on our iPads and iPhones when we’re trying to view a video!

Source: Adobe finally brings Flash to iPhone and iPad
Adobe

Reaction score
Everything ios costs money. Even the dad burn forums. Can you do the "lite" removal ? ;)

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I ask a question to the mods/experts? How do you see this solution impacting the ios world?

As long as flash content publishers adapt this technology, will we final users be able to watch their material as easily as on a pc/mac?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Adobe had priced the server software at FREE, they might have seen a high enough adoption rate to be interesting and save Flash. As it is priced now, it's going to be a non event in my opinion.

-t

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both

Colbris, I did check the phorums, etc but are those reasons still valid after this new development?

Thewitt, it is priced allright, but is that not a small amount for publishers that will be able to make their content available to all ios devices?

Perhaps it is, I am not in the business so I could not tell.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whether the product will sell at those prices at a high enough volume to save Flash is to be seen. Converting to standard formats and away from a proprietary Flash format will be the decision and cost discussion that every content provider must have.

-t

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it should be at a much lower cost . My opinion is that businesses whom have flash sites need to look at what business they are missing and make the change either go with adobe's new server change or use another medium other than flash. Virgin airlines was a prime example they scratched flash so iOS users could make bookings and visit there sites without issue since then thousands of others have also made the change. One must consider there are millions of iPod touch, millions of iPhones and now millions of iPads all of which are capable of connecting to the net. Adobe has realized this and really has no choice but to make the change however I think personally they are being a bit greedy.

I should point out I donot want this to turn in an ugly discussion as our team will act so let's all be nice ok

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I should point out I donot want this to turn in an ugly discussion as our team will act so let's all be nice ok

I agree - my objective was to get expert opinion on the impact that this new development will have on final users, and this has been achieved.

Thank you both.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a company has a website that already works, has the same amount of hits daily, weekly why would they want to adopt this? The iOS Market is massive but why should company's pay a massive amount of money to enable iOS users to use their website (fully) when they probably already do but limited? For example I visit BBC sport regularly, I miss not watching flash videos but at the same time I still visit, so to me it really doesn't make sense, I do agree though that the server software should be free, that way websites can be accessed by all devices and then maybe flash can live on, but at the rate iOS is being consumed I'm sure there be another platform that will be número uno, maybe html5 (although it's been nearly 2 years and I still haven't seen a significant difference in websites) or maybe there will be a new platform, who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts