What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the iPad to my RTW tech bag

zan5hin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to embark on a 12 month round the world trip, and thought the iPad would be a nice addition for me. I have lots of digital ebooks of popular travel guides like Lonely Planet, Frommer's, Rough Guides and DK Eyewitness, etc and they work really well with GoodReader.

I got a 64GB 3G model, I don't really want to pay for a separate SIM card as I travel, however the GPS is the reason I got the 3G model. I have jailbroken my iPad and all my experience from the iPhone has come in very handy. Actually now I don't know what to do with my iPhone, it has been very neglected the past 2 weeks, if I could get a decent price I would sell it, but I will just keep it for tethering and for 32GB of music and for emails and Reeder.

I was backpacking for the last 6 months with my iPhone 3GS and a small touch netbook, the Kohjinsha SC3 with atom processor and 7" single touch screen, but the battery life sucked, I had to carry an external battery which weighs about as much as the iPad, and it was not good for reading those ebooks. I finally got sick of waiting for a proper touch interface, with Android not being mature enough, and Windows 8 a long way down the road. So I caved in and bought a giant iPod Touch :D

So now I will leave the external battery at home and just travel with the iPhone, iPad and the SC3 Windows 7 machine, and use the SC3 for iTunes, photo management, Chrome and Firefox and of course USB ports for the 1TB of content I am taking with me.

The worst thing so far with the iPad is how iTunes looks on a 1024x600 screen, very meh. I also don't like how the API for the keyboard is locked, so I cannot have smaller keys but have an extra row for numbers, or have a TAB key. I also had to turn off backups because they were so slow. Besides from that it is lots of fun.

Cheers
Zan

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, hope to see you around.:)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good luck! That sounds like an adventure of a lifetime. I've taken my iPad on camping and vacation and let me tell you - it is all you need, and its great.

Think about buying the apple travel adapter kit before leaving though.

Oh, and welcome!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sounds like a thorough decision making process. got a blog? would love to see your trail.

second that! I like to try backpacking, you could give out some tips.
oh, and welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts