What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accents and other characters

arianeheinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I frequently write in languages other than English, such as French, Spanish or Catalan. I'd like to be able to spell correctly on the iPad by putting accents, "umlauts" and other characters onto the letters that need them.
Does anyone know how to make such characters easily? I've tried playing around with keyboards but haven't found all of them, and I would just like one keyboard that allows it all (like the US - International on Microsoft).
I would also like to know if there is a key that allows you to erase the next character instead of the previous one.
Thank you very much!

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uhm, as far as I've learned, you can tap n' hold the letter (only some specific ones though like "a", etc.) and there will be those letters you will be looking for, same goes for other symbols and characters.

OP
A

arianeheinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
Uhm, as far as I've learned, you can tap n' hold the letter (only some specific ones though like "a", etc.) and there will be those letters you will be looking for, same goes for other symbols and characters.

Wow, that's awesome, thank you!

What about deleting the next chzracter instead of the previous one?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is a character you want that is not available in any keyboard you can find it on the Internet, copy it and paste it into a keyboard shortcut.

Some examples of this are the 4 letters in the Maltese alphabet:

Ċċ
Ġġ
Ħħ
Żż

You can then use a shortcut name to access them:

Cdotu; cdotl; gdotu etc

The name you give to them is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about deleting the next chzracter instead of the previous one?
Oh, that part. Sorry I don't know, but I guess you can just put the cursor infront of it and delete it xD... You can also hold in the area where you are typing so you can see a bubble which give a zoomed view of the exact area of the cursor.

OP
A

arianeheinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks everyone, that's great feedback, i really appreciate it!

Most reactions

Latest posts