What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question on Jailbreak

aquace21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a 16GB WiFi Ipad lately which comes with the 4.2.1 version right out of the box. I tried to jailbreak using Redsnow but without success.

I ran the Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 file and was prompted for the location of the firmware file. But I do not know where to find the 4.2.1 firmware file. I downloaded the zipped firmware file (551MB size) but there is no iPad1,1_4.2_8C134_Restore.ipsw file inside! I read that the file resides inside the PC, but since my Ipad comes with 4.2.1 be default so I cannot find it in my PC either.

Any advise on the above? Thanks in advance!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought a 16GB WiFi Ipad lately which comes with the 4.2.1 version right out of the box. I tried to jailbreak using Redsnow but without success.

I ran the Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 file and was prompted for the location of the firmware file. But I do not know where to find the 4.2.1 firmware file. I downloaded the zipped firmware file (551MB size) but there is no iPad1,1_4.2_8C134_Restore.ipsw file inside! I read that the file resides inside the PC, but since my Ipad comes with 4.2.1 be default so I cannot find it in my PC either.

Any advise on the above? Thanks in advance!

You probably just have to rename the zip file to be an ipsw. It's common for some sites to rename them so browsers will download them properly...

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Refer to earlier post.

My earlier post mentioned that if you would install Safari on your pc and then use that browser to download the file then it would work. Try it. You'll like it.

OP
A

aquace21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for both your help! I renamed the file from .zip to .ipsw and it works now. :)

Strangely.. the Redsnow guide did not mention about the renaming.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't mention that because there are enough dl-sites where you download the file with the proper extension. Changing extensions is a trick to bypass antivirus software for example, or to make it more difficult to track down a download.

Most reactions

Latest posts