What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A note of caution?

jasonpford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I trust you are well and enjoying your Apple products. As you know, the iPad is set to launch tomorrow in Britain. I received an email this morning from the IET, part of which said this:

"The iPad is a great device, but consumers should be aware that although it represents an exciting addition to the market, it’s not a like-for-like replacement for laptops or notebook PC."

What do other members of the Forum make of this statement? I'd love to read your opinions.

Many thanks.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I trust you are well and enjoying your Apple products. As you know, the iPad is set to launch tomorrow in Britain. I received an email this morning from the IET, part of which said this:

"The iPad is a great device, but consumers should be aware that although it represents an exciting addition to the market, it’s not a like-for-like replacement for laptops or notebook PC."

What do other members of the Forum make of this statement? I'd love to read your opinions.

Many thanks.

wtf is the IET? And why should you care about their opinion (which is completely false.)

mgamber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really see what's so surprising about that. It doesn't take much reading to realize it's not a replacement for a real computer. Then again, how many people bother reading anything about what they buy anymore?

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think for the most part the iPad does a large majority of what most people would be using a laptop or desktop for. In its current form, as of today, the iPad can handle most tasks extremely well, and especially for consuming content (as has been noted in several reviews). Where it might need some improvement is in the ability to 'create' things such as Documents (done well by Pages), but also better at creating spreadsheets (Numbers) that would allow a large number of users to view, edit and share Excel spreadsheets. That's my $.02

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received an email this morning from the IET, part of which said this:

I agree with that statement. It's not even close to the versatility and power of a good laptop. I replaced my laptop with it because most of what I was doing with my laptop fell within the abilities of the iPad, with the benefit of lighter weight, cheaper data plan and longer battery life. If you're a power user to content creator, I'd say you're better off with a laptop.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think for the most part the iPad does a large majority of what most people would be using a laptop or desktop for. In its current form, as of today, the iPad can handle most tasks extremely well, and especially for consuming content (as has been noted in several reviews). Where it might need some improvement is in the ability to 'create' things such as Documents (done well by Pages), but also better at creating spreadsheets (Numbers) that would allow a large number of users to view, edit and share Excel spreadsheets. That's my $.02

I never said anything about it being a desktop replacement! Only laptop. Most people have laptops as a portable productivity portal. I consider the iPad to be a perfect desktop extender....it allows me to do anything anywhere...and I can access my files, videos, music, and even desktop anywhere I go.

OP
J

jasonpford

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there. The IET is the Institution of Engineering and Technology.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there. The IET is the Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Did they also warn that the television was not a suitable replacement for the radio.....or maybe that dvd would not properly replace vhs? These are people that get paid to give bad advice?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
As ebp i also replaced a laptop with it, therefore their wrong, and their narrow view is just that, narrow. As I have said before, the iPad can actually replace most home users laptops, not all, but most. Most consumers use a computer to do internet and email and perhaps a bit of media... all things the iPad is perfect for.

When I want to work in Photoshop, or Cubase or Dreamweaver.... I use my desktop. Just about everything else.... my ipad.

Is this some moronic government agency seeking to protect the citizens of your fair country from the evils of the iPad? Talk about out of control government.....

Most reactions

Latest posts