What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-10 Million iPads sold in 2010

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
steve-jobs-ipad.jpg

Fortune is out with a new report that indicates suppliers have revised their sales forecast for Apple's iPad due to the increasing demand. According to Morgan Stanley's Katy Huberty the iPad will have an impact on the sub $800 notebook market which account for 120 million units sold annually. Along with this news, Apple's stock hits a new high today of $233.87 per share.

• iPad suppliers now forecast shipments of 8-10 million iPads in calendar 2010, up from their previous estimate of 5+ million.
  • Suppliers now expect to ship 2.5 million in the first three months alone (March to May), considerably ahead of Huberty's estimate of 750,000 by the end of June.
  • Shipments are not sales, however, and Huberty is sticking with her sales estimate of 6+ million iPads in 2010. The Street's consensus, she says, is closer to 3-4 million.
  • Each incremental one million iPads shipped, by her calculation, equates to earnings increases of roughly $0.25 EPS.

[Source: Fortune]

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it. When these hit the streets next week - and if Apple has built the iPad to their normal high quality level - as people start using them, passing them around - they're going to sell millions.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That projection seems a little high to me. I'd venture anywhere from 4-5 million. 8-10 seems a little generous but who knows... it very well could!

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Apple has a strong holiday season, I think these targets could be met. Apple also has room to drop the price, so if sales aren't up to par.. I think we might see a price drop in August/September to get the back to school sales.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
High quality??? Of course!!

I believe it. When these hit the streets next week - and if Apple has built the iPad to their normal high quality level - as people start using them, passing them around - they're going to sell millions.

I'm counting on 'high quality'!! Being a software developer by trade, I very seldom purchase version 1.00 of anything!! :)

Apple is the only company (software or hardware) that gets that honor from me!!

;)

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All this info just is kinda bad news for me....I'm one of the ones that didn't pre-order and it's up in the air as to when I'll be able to even get one unless they come up with a substantial back order.

This sucks!!!

Cya

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
netbook sales and entry level laptop affected

Glad I'm not making or selling netbooks!!!

Not only net books the ipad will have an impact on the PC entry level laptops that the mum and dads buy for them selves and their kids for school and home as 90% just want to browse the net, email, facebook look at pictures, listen to music etc all of which the ipad can do much better.

Colin Down under

DanaNgidhu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All this info just is kinda bad news for me....I'm one of the ones that didn't pre-order and it's up in the air as to when I'll be able to even get one unless they come up with a substantial back order.

This sucks!!!

Cya
I am sorry that you did not pre-order. I pitty the people that will stand in line at Best Buy.

Dana

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if mine doesn't come in before next week I will be there to at least get a look at what I bought.:)

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This sucks!!!

Cya
I am sorry that you did not pre-order. I pitty the people that will stand in line at Best Buy.

Dana

I don't live anywhere near a Apple store, so I guess I'll be in that waiting from home line till I decide to either order on line or make a road trip.

It's hard to say when they will be caught up with all the pre-orders and will be able to just service the walk-in's and the internet orders again.

Oh well...my bad!!!

Cya

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple's retail channels information

This sucks!!!

Cya

Dana

I don't live anywhere near a Apple store, so I guess I'll be in that waiting from home line till I decide to either order on line or make a road trip.

It's hard to say when they will be caught up with all the pre-orders and will be able to just service the walk-in's and the internet orders again.

Oh well...my bad!!!

Cya
Dana, I understand your frustration let me explain Apples system. Apple's On line store World wide including Australia is a separate retail business that is they supply to retail orders on line only.

Apple has several retail channels which include Authorised resellers like Best Buy whom have been allocated product by Apple direct The only issue is what is the total count of product provided to that channel reseller or how many they have ordered . Other channels are government, Education and through distributers to resellers whom do not buy from Apple direct .

The fact that Apple store ran out means their allocation has been filled which has nothing to do with Best Buy as they buy from Apple direct not from the retail store. I have been a reseller since 1993 also associated with Apple when I lived in usa since 1978 so please understand I am 99% positive this is correct. The selling model in Australia is the same model in USA.

Your choice is order from the Apple store on line and wait or order from Best Buy or from one of the Apple owned retail stores. If you cannot get there phone them and place your order thats if thats possible or drive to pick one up.
Summary
Apple on line ( Apple owned on line store)Same in Australia
Apple retail stores are stores owned by Apple but not same as on-line different channel ( to the best of my knowledge as stated by an Apple employee here in Aus)
Retail stores like Best Buy - Is an in-depended retailer owned by Best Buy and order from Apple direct.

Hope you get your ipad

Most reactions

Latest posts