What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

64gb

greengen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an iPad and according to pricing, there are incremental jumps from 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb. I know this is a stupid question, but what purpose do higher GB serve? Can it run more apps at one time:confused:, or be more responsive and speedy?

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an iPad and according to pricing, there are incremental jumps from 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb. I know this is a stupid question, but what purpose do higher GB serve? Can it run more apps at one time:confused:, or be more responsive and speedy?

The GB refers to how much memory or storage space they have. The higher the GB, the more apps, music, ebooks and videos it can hold.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the other poster pointed out, the more Flash memory you have (the GB figure refers to the amount of Flash - a bit like the hard disc of a regular PC) the more you can store - books, photos, movies, apps etc.

But it's the movies/videos that really take up the space on an iPad. A regular movie can take anywhere between 600 MB (0.6 GB) for a standard definition program up to 2-3 GB or more for a high definition program (HD). So, if you're in to watching a lot of movies on your iPad and you want to have them on your device at the same time - maybe you have a lot of travelling to do and they isn't a chance to load them one-at-a-time - then you could need that extra storage.

I had posts from members, too, who have an enormous music collection on their iPads - one reported 30 GB of music, though that was an extreme example.

So, for some people, 16GB is more than adequate - a couple of movies, some music, games, photos etc - while others, who want/need to store a lot of stuff on their iPads, require more memory.

One final point to note, of course is that the memory of an iPad is not upgradeable. Once you've chosen 16 GB there's absolutely no way for it to be expanded.

Whatever iPad you decide on you'll not be disappointed.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts