What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen ipad slow

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a 5th gen ipad, 32 gb. WiFi. It has started to be very slow. My internet connection always shows 3 bars but it is still slow. I have tried rebooting but that does not help. I have always updated to latest iOS. Any suggestions.thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i have a 5th gen ipad, 32 gb. WiFi. It has started to be very slow. My internet connection always shows 3 bars but it is still slow. I have tried rebooting but that does not help. I have always updated to latest iOS. Any suggestions.thanks

Hi Fancy..... - please provide some additional information: 1) By 5th generation iPad, do you mean the 'iPad Air' shown in the chart below - models listed and would assume yours is the A1474; 2) What is your current installed iOS - the Air models can be upgraded to the current version, i.e. 12.1; 3) How did you 'reboot' - by holding down both the HOME and the ON-OFF buttons; 4) Is your battery charging properly; 5) Did the 'slow down' come after the last iOS upgrade/update; and 6) Is the device 'slow' when on the internet only or in other applications, e.g. games, etc. Answers to these questions will be of help. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.55.28 PM.png

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To answer some questions. I have ipad 2017 model A 1822; latest 12.1 update, I have rebooted by holding both home button and on and off. Yes battery is charging properly, I think it started slowing down after the upgrades. I do not play games so mostly I. notice it on web for example if I go to amazon, it takes a long time to open. But not always but quite often lately.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran a Speedtest and here are the results
Download. 11.25 mbps
Upload 1.35 mbps
Ping12 ms
I do not know if that is good or bad

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I ran a Speedtest and here are the results
Download. 11.25 mbps - Upload 1.35 mbps - Ping12 ms
I do not know if that is good or bad

Hi again - Brian has already given you some great advice - first, have you tried to use other Wi-Fi networks (e.g. local coffee shops, restaurants, etc.) w/ better results? Second, one way to track your DL speed is by using an app called 'Wi-Fi Sweetspots' (available in the App Store for free) - at present, I'm in a condo on a short vacation, but I just checked my DL speeds on my iPad next to the modem and in a bedroom w/ thick walls in-between - note the differences in DL rates, so just a suggestion if you need to do further testing.

Also, especially if other Wi-Fi devices on your network are having similar issues - 'power recycle' both your modem and router, i.e. unplug and/or turn off power, wait a few minutes, and then restore the power - has helped me a few times. Good luck and post back your results. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 11.11.38 AM.png

Most reactions