What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.0.1 untethered jailbreak issues

scottsan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b2 to jailbreak my itunes-restored iPad 1.
All was well, except that iBooks, the appstore, and itunes apps crashed when starting.
I again used itunes to restore the iPad and then used redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b3 to jailbreak. The same issue with iBooks, appstore and itunes apps crashing at startup continued. I tried many of the iBooks fixes circulating on the net, but none worked. Otherwise the iPad functions normally and syncs with my mac's itunes without a problem.

What's up with iBooks, appstore, and itunes apps crashing on the iPad 1?

Anybody know how to remedy this?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not the 1st one.
Many complaint about loosing iBooks.
Some were able to restore it. Some couldn't.
The internet is full of people who face that problem. ( Make a search too find all kind of suggestions)
I am too scared to even try. So I'll stick to my 4.3.3 JB. avoiding the risk.
Besides, Version 5 on iPAD-1 is slowing the iPAD considerably, and does not offer that many new stuff.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What IOS you was on before? I think you need to restore again to fresh 5.0.1, then restore from backup, then upgrade your apps, includeing iBooks, to their latest versions, and only then jailbreak. For me Untethered 5.0.1 JB works fine, but it was made from windows PC.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a known issue with iBooks crashing on the JB. There are fixes, one in Cydia where you have to add a repo and another where you go in and another way to go in and mess with the files. I used the Cydia fix and it worked fine.
Google "fix ibooks on ios 5 jailbreak" and you should be good.
Sorry I can't help on the others. My App store works fine and I don't use the iPod app at all.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rsava said:
There is a known issue with iBooks crashing on the JB.
I think you should say there was ...
Because iBook issue was resolved in the last tethered version of redsn0w - the one with true 5.0.1 support - this information published at dev team blog, and I've tested it - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...ytime-after-ios-5-update-ipad-jailbroken.html . With the last ( untethered) redsn0w I also haven't iBooks issue, but from the time iBooks issue existed and the moment it been resolved the iBooks version in appstore changed - this may be author's problem - I haven't tested old iBooks with new redsn0w.

Last edited:

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stand by what I said. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE........There are too many posts out there from the past 2 days that say there is.
I am using the latest untethered redsnow (0.9.10b3) and I had issues with iBooks as of yesterday. I used the fix in Cydia in the insanelyi repo and it fixed iBooks. So I am glad you think it is fixed but apparently the people at insanelyi (among many others) think differently and have a fix for people who have an issue with iBooks.
The version in Cydia (version 0.0.2-2) now fixes older iBooks and the newer one that is in the AppStore now.
Google this: redsnow 0.9.10b3 ibooks and look at the first few hits.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rsava said:
I stand by what I said. THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE........
The version in Cydia (version 0.0.2-2) now fixes older iBooks and the newer one that is in the AppStore now.
Google this: redsnow 0.9.10b3 ibooks and look at the first few hits.
You are right this is anew one. Thank you.

OP
scottsan

scottsan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Addendum:

I just discovered that the Youtube app also crashes at startup.
I did , however, manage to get a fix for the iBooks problem, but appstore,
itunes, and youtube, do not work - they crash at startup.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new redsn0w 0.9.10b4 with iBooks fix issued. Info from dev-team blog. You may just install new Corona package from Cydia. It's just updated.

For those who fixed iBooks manually - you also need to delete folder iBooks.app from /Applications folder and respring (no mention before or after installation of iBooks from appStore).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts