What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G iPad question from a South African!

lloyd_in_sa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

First let me say how happy I am to have found this site, you are all very cool and helpful!

Now to my question. I live in South Africa but my mother will be buying a new iPad on my behalf when she travels to New York next week. I am aware that the 4G element will not work in here in SA for the foreseeable future (at least) but I believe that it will still run 3G. What I would like to know is whether or not an American 4G model will work here in SA. I don't want to buy it and then find out my American iPad's 3G capability is only enabled for use in America.

Furthermore, I see that when choosing the 4G model I can either opt for an A T&T or Verizon model. Now of course these are both obsolete for me living in SA, so does it not matter which one I choose? Or is one model preferable to the other for an overseas purchaser like me... or will neither be able to work over here? My thinking is that I could choose either one and then buy a micro sim from a network here, pop it in and off I go?

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope my question made sense.;)

matthewfj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use a 4G model in SA. Every 4G iPad is 3G ready. Which networks are in SA? You may have some compatibility issues if these networks don't have iPad data plans.

OP
L

lloyd_in_sa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I've been investigating further and it looks as though I should buy an UNLOCKED version rather than a Verizon or A T&T model, as only an unlocked model will work overseas... please could someone confirm this for me? Indeed, is it currently possible to buy an unlocked version of the new iPad?

As for the networks here in SA, I believe that the ones which are iPad friendly are Vodacom and MTN :)

Thanks again...

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lloyd_in_sa said:
Thanks for the reply! I've been investigating further and it looks as though I should buy an UNLOCKED version rather than a Verizon or A T&T model, as only an unlocked model will work overseas... please could someone confirm this for me? Indeed, is it currently possible to buy an unlocked version of the new iPad?

As for the networks here in SA, I believe that the ones which are iPad friendly are Vodacom and MTN :)

Thanks again...

I don't think ipads are sold locked to a specific carrier,unlike the iphone.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I expect his mum hasn't got back yet. Let us know when you get it though. I'm always interested in fellow South African members experiences with their iPad.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

pietertjie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lloyd
At&T is the unblocked network. They will point this out to your mother in the i-store. Mine is working fine!!
Cheers

Last edited:

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband has an AT&T iPad and had no issue using it when he traveled to your beautiful country. Of course this also depends on strength of signal where you are as well. Not all of the US is 4G. But 3G works fine

Most reactions

Latest posts